Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
DS holds it in while in bathroom and urinates while playing

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 12:03 pm
Day 3 of toilet training.

Ds totally gets what to do but holds it in while on the toilet. He could be dancing around desparate to go, I put him on toilet and distract him, read book, etc, but he holds it in. take him off and play in bathroom, he still holds it in.

but as soon as he goes to the playroom, he urinates.

what to do?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 12:10 pm
try sitting him backwards on the toilet. give him toys to play with on the tank. it's harder to hold in in that position. when he goes in the toilet, make a HUGE deal about it.

cholenteater

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 12:58 pm
Reading a book can help your child visualize the process- there is a book Henry toilet training book for boys, and also has a short clip on YouTube (type in Henry toilet training)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1
There is also a Jewish version "I can go by myself" by Elisheva (don't remember last name). You can read the books together and pause to allow your son to ask questions to ease his fears and help him feel comfortable with the process.

You can make a picture sticker chart- for example, after going five times he gets a big desired item (put picture). Every time he goes he gets a small reward, and will get a big reward after however many times, depending on what you feel would work for your child.

As far as security, getting a toilet seat insert can help him feel comfortable- I recommend the one with handles, as my son felt safer on that one (we went through a bunch).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

Another thing that may be helpful is acting out the process with menchies/mitzvah kinder. Act out the menchies playing and then needing to go- put the menchie in a bowl with some water, squeeze it in so that the menchie will fill up. Then squeeze the menchie by the toilet and make a big deal that the menchie made.... and encourage him to try as well.

There is a free app that has a bear playing and then he stops to go to the bathroom- this helped my son the most, and helped him understand that when he is playing he has to stop to go to the bathroom and that when he comes back his toys will be there waiting for him. You can get it on Google play- potty training by Russpuppy.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 3:06 pm
How old is he?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 3:11 pm
My son had the same issue. It turned our that he had a fear of "letting go" on the toilet. It took about 2 weeks into the training until he was able to diminish the fear.
We just gave a ton of encouraging and incentives. He was also very motivated.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:05 pm
All other advice really good. I would open the sink while he is sitting on the toilet. The water sound may make it too hard to hold it in

nature

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:28 pm
My daughter would do something similar. So I would count with her. I would say let's just count to ten. Sometimes twice. It would relax her and give her a finite end.
I never did this for Toilet training, but u can put that blue cleaner in right before and have watch it turn green when he goes!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training