Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What would you say or do?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:29 am
I was on the train this morning and there were two empty seats beside me. At one of the stops a thin woman sat in the seat next to me on one side and a broad shouldered man sat in the seat on my other side. There wasn't much room because he has wide shoulders so he was sitting with his shoulders turned in and arms in front of him so my arm was touching his arm pits- as I later found out. I felt something, but couldn't tell 100%. When I got off I noticed the sleeve of my shirt was wet from his sweat. I felt disgusted. What would you have said or done? The lady on his other side said excuse me to him right when he sat down, maybe because his arm pits were on her too?

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:39 am
Yuck.

I sympathize, but the etiquette is clear. A quiz. Pick the right answer.

A). "Ewww. Sir, your armpits were touching me, and you sweated all over my sleeve and got it disgusting."

B). Walk away, chalk it up as a life lesson, and next time look more carefully as a large gentleman sits down, and either move yourself, or politely ask him to move over just a bit more.

Last edited by imasinger on Wed, Aug 31 2016, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Fox

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:43 am
Nothing.

This is simply one of the costs of living in a dense urban area. It doesn't sound like the gentleman in question had particularly bad hygiene -- it's August; people perspire. He was obviously trying to keep his arms from intruding into your personal space.

In the future, wear a windbreaker-type jacket so that your clothes won't be soiled by getting up-close and personal with your fellow commuters.

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 9:20 am
Men sweat. That's just what they do.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 9:22 am
Change seats

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 11:08 am
trains are like a can of sardines ... they're good because they get you to your destination albeit smelling of sudoriparous glands instead of irish spring

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 11:40 am
I wouldn't say anything, but I'd pour alcohol over my arms and sanitize my clothes. shock

Did you not feel a little too warm and comfortable sitting wedged in like that? I would have gotten up as soon as I felt him touch me.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:20 am
Mmmm. This man had a sweating problem bu he can't help it, I guess. There isn't much you can do except leaving
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette