Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
I find hotels stressful

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:45 pm
Am I the only one who finds vacations and hotels stressfuL? I packed as much food as I could and brought an electric burner, but I miss my kitchen and am running low on supplies. There are no kosher restaurants around here and I want to go home a day early. We will lose the money we paid up front for the final night but I want to go home anyway. WWYD?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:49 pm
Totally hear you. I would however stay. I'm assuming the rest of the family is enjoying why lose the money?
You cannt get any bread bagels tuna there? Cereal and milk? Veggies make some salads?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:58 pm
I bought some groceries. They don't have packaged lettuce that's kosher or my dressing that I always buy. My family is having a great time but I have a hard time sleeping in these beds. Maybe I can leave towards evening so it's not a total loss. Next year be'ezras Hashem I want a shorter vacation.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
I bought some groceries. They don't have packaged lettuce that's kosher or my dressing that I always buy. My family is having a great time but I have a hard time sleeping in these beds. Maybe I can leave towards evening so it's not a total loss. Next year be'ezras Hashem I want a shorter vacation.

So buy whole leaf romane and check it and find a different dressing. You are anon - care to share locationnamd we can help direct you?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 12:07 am
How long did you go for? I pack easy- lots of noodle soups, rolls with cold cuts, cereal, milk, etc...

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 12:15 am
amother wrote:

If everyone else is having a great time and they know when they are suppose to go home (not discussing the money issue) don't leave early.
I am more like you and would want to leave but it's not fair to the rest of them. As you said next time you can plan a shorter vacation.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 4:20 am
lettuce is kosher. If it doesnt have a hechsher you need to check it for bugs. Bagged lettuce is usually pretty clean due to the processing it goes through.

Next time try airbnb or renting a cabin or apartment so you have a kitchen. Usually cheaper and nicer then hotels.

essie14

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 5:16 am
I second airbnb. It's usually cheaper and more comfortable - you have a living room for everyone to hang out in and a full kitchen. I hate trying to "cook" in a tiny hotel room.
We do fine shopping locally for groceries - every store in America has millions of kosher products.

jflower

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 6:52 am
Suite hotels have rooms with a kitchenette & living room ( with a sofa that pulls out to a bed.) That might work for you next time.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 6:59 am
Another airbnb fan. More space, better value, esp for large families and/or people who need to prepare their own food.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 7:13 am
It's not the hotel that's a problem, it's the food situation. I second either renting a house or apartment. Is anyone else bothered? There's no reason you can't have sandwiches for meals. Skip the lettuce and buy bagged baby carrots.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 9:07 am
I once found bugs in hekshered, triple washed, bagged lettuce. I was SO grossed out!

From then on, I buy my own lettuce, and check it really well. I've found bugs, but somehow it doesn't bother me nearly as much. I trust myself far more than I trust an assembly line full of underpaid, over worked people with tired eyes.

I hear you about the hotel beds, though. I need a super soft mattress, so I always order lots of extra comforters to put down as a pad. Otherwise, I wake up with my back screaming at me - assuming I got any sleep at all that night.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:51 pm
I used to never sleep well whenever we were anywhere that did not involve my own bed. It was super annoying to be tired on vacation, and feel like such a party pooper.

I found that if I pack my pillows, I can fool myself into imagining that I am in my own bed. I started doing this everywhere and now I sleep much better and am more rested when away.

Try it next time you go somewhere - pillows are packable and can really make a difference.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 2:25 pm
another vote for bringing your own pillow ... even if it looks silly

as for food there are so many things out there that one can survive on - fruit, nuts, veggies, peanut butter, granola bars ... one more day really isn't that much to keep the rest of the family happy

enjoy your vacation - some of us don't have such complaints
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics