Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Does this make sense? More income<breaking even
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:13 am
I also saw the diy toddler bunk bed ideas but I'm worried if I make something myself out might not be safe enough. I'm not THAT handy.

I'll try calling hatzlucha, thanks for the tip. I'm sure they're expensive but may be worth a shot. Still super grumpy about staying so cramped but at last it would be a bed.

Yes we are in NY for various reasons. We have a kid with special needs whose education options would be far more limited elsewhere. But in about a year the other reasons should fall into place enough to consider moving anyway and finding some other way to meet dc needs. But for a year we need to make this work.

Trundle or mattresses would not work because there is seriously no floor space. It would mean that once the kids go to sleep I can't move between my bedroom and bathroom without stepping over someone. I could see it working if we go with the smaller table idea (it's already dinette size! We fit max five chairs around it and we're a family of four! I haven't had a proper guest since before I had kids! Ok I'm kvetching.) But even then I worry that a mattress on the floor is not a very clean way to sleep. The floor is very dusty - I mean obviously I clean it but it does seem to attract more dust than you'd expect especially for a space with almost no windows. And I'm not the most fastidious cleaner either. I'm not a fan of the idea of kids sleeping on the floor.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you're in the tri-state area please don't order a table just yet. There's an amazing furniture gemach group and if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for the right size table and chairs (sometimes separate) come along you can get something great that you can pick up yourselves without paying.

And you can donate your current table there too.

Where do I find furniture gemach?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 6:25 am
amother wrote:
Where do I find furniture gemach?

Deleted.
Feel free to pm me for more information.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Aug 31 2016, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 7:43 am
Just want to say that I got a bunk bed at walmart for about $215. I think they had cheaper ones too.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:27 am
op, I know you don't love the idea of mattresses on floors, but I think you should try. put the crib mattress under the table at night. if you sweep up after dinner, dust shouldn't be an issue. and it will save you having to replace the table.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 12:07 pm
The table has a pedestal lol

Took the gemach number.Thank you!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:42 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Just want to say that I got a bunk bed at walmart for about $215. I think they had cheaper ones too.

How is it holding up? I'm in the market for new Bunkbeds but I'm so nervous about them being flimsy or collapsing.

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:46 pm
I heard that they hold up well, ihave ikea they lasted 5+ years

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:51 pm
Yup makes sense.
Wwe both work full time and end up with less per year than friends who have one spouse working part time. Since they get all the benefits we have to pay for (such as health insurance, food, rent etc).

gande

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 2:28 pm
We arw in the same situation. Working harder, and affording leas. My husband built a toddler size bunk bed. You can pm me for the plans. We had the wood cut to size in the lumber yard and he just screwed it together. Its the sturdiest piece of furniture I own. stained it and added moldings. It has saved my sanity because we stuck it in the corner of the dining room. My 4 and 7 year old sleep there and my special needs 5 year old sleeps in a pack n play. It's not a normal situation but at least I can manage in a 1 bedroom with 4 kids for now

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 2:35 pm
We were never quite so bad off because we had a 3 br apartment, but have you thought about moving out of ny? We recently moved and now have large 2800 sq foot house for less than we were paying for our 900 sq foot apartment. Your income may not improve that much but at least you'll get more for your money without sacrificing your sanity.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics