Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Changing locks on new home

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:42 am
When you buy a new house is it a given that the locks and keys should be changed?

Dh seems to think they should be. I don't think its a have to that everyone does. We have no reason to think the previous owner will try to get back in. (Not some sketchy situation or anything)

The only point that does make sense is he thinks we should get all the locks to fit one key cause now theres a few different ones for each door. Except I think it can work with just keeping the key (or two) that is used the most often and leave the rest in the home.

aussie2

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:46 am
I just moved into a new apartment and we changed the keys. Most ppl told us it's a given. You are not sure who else may have the key. (The previous owners could have given it to others as well.) In our situation, there is only 1 key left from the original 6 so we know others still have the key including the arabs that built the apt (we are in Israel) and other worker men who never returned the key. because of this we obv changed the locks.
It may seem like an unnecessary expense but I think better safe than sorry.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:51 am
Dh mentioned it to the realtor at closing and he didn't seem to think it was always done.

But I hear.

Do you think it has to be changed first thing? (If we didn't move in yet cause there needs to be some work)

iyar

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:58 am
If you're still having workers in and out, you might want to wait until the house is quiet and all yours. But I can definitely see why you'd want to change the locks, not knowing who else may have a key to your home etc
If as you say, DH seems to feel that way, certainly no reason to make an issue out of it.
Good luck with the move!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 9:18 am
I would change. Like others have said you don't know who has a set and whose hands a set has fallen into. The contractor could have given sets to his workers. The broker could have given a set to someone. An relative of the previous owner could still have a set.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 9:35 am
We moved into our house a few weeks ago and haven't changed it yet, but it was our plan all along. I actually have someone coming next week to change it.

We did a little work in the house and the workers had the combination, so that was a no brainer to change. The realtor also has the combination. The previous owners also said some neighbors have their key, I want to give our key to someone we can trust. Not the previous owners friends.

theotherone

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 11:02 am
We've moved a few times and never changed (fwiw previous owner was always frum and we never gave keys to workermen etc.)

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:33 pm
in brooklyn it's the right thing to do ... in cleveland we just leave the doors open for eliyahu all year long

cm

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 4:57 pm
Having the locks re-keyed (not replaced altogether) is not a major expense. We had an appointment with the locksmith immediately after closing.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 5:46 pm
buy a similar lock & place it into the same holes ... voila

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:41 pm
cm wrote:
Having the locks re-keyed (not replaced altogether) is not a major expense. We had an appointment with the locksmith immediately after closing.
except the locks are keyed deadbolts which can be a problem (see the front door lock thread I also started)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating