Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you send your kids to public school?

mammala120

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 8:05 pm
While living in marine park?? Which PS. Do ur kids go to? What are the ages involved? Why send to PS and are you happy or sad about that? How do u make sure the kids are on track of Judaism involving holidays, kosher food, tznius, other. Please advice. You can pm me if you want it more private.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:26 pm
My grandsons go to public school in Long Island at first I was horrified! But both kids have small learning issues that were not being addressed in their yeshiva. The boys thrived in school all issues were quickly addressed. They are both going into a regular 1st grade this year, reading well above grade level. They love their teachers and really thrived. My daughter bought all the food for the parties the teachers were very aware of their eating kosher. The boys learned to ask before they ate anything if it was kosher. At the end of the year the class had a pizza party with only kosher food. She had a tutor for Hebrew twice a week this year hopefully they will go to talmed Torah too..she will be sending her third child to pre k this yeAr, because of how much her boys learned and matured, feeling like success is something that they can reach for! It's a very hard decision to make but you have to do what's best for your child. Hatzlucha

mamaof2

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:30 pm
If you live in marine park why not try HLA Hebrew language academy it's a charter school it's kosher food no judicial studies but you can send to chabad once a week and they learn Hebrew fluently. It's an amazing school but hard to get into its lottery based and it's free

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:51 pm
It's so hard to keep the kids Frum today do everything possible to have them in Frum schools so you won't regret it

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 11:19 pm
I doubt anyone on this site who lives in Marine Park sends to public school unless it's HLA or their kids has special needs. And if you're looking to send to elementary, you don't have a choice. You must send to your zoned school if you don't go the charter route.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 11:45 pm
I send to public school because my children are gifted and the public schools are better equipped for gifted children.We teach kodesh at home and it has been working well. They bring their own lunch.

heidi

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 4:48 am
mamaof2 wrote:
If you live in marine park why not try HLA Hebrew language academy it's a charter school it's kosher food no judicial studies but you can send to chabad once a week and they learn Hebrew fluently. It's an amazing school but hard to get into its lottery based and it's free

Judicial means law.
Judaic means Jewish.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
It's so hard to keep the kids Frum today do everything possible to have them in Frum schools so you won't regret it

I agree with this basic concept. The problem is when the frum schools refuse to address special needs, or the other kids are out of control, or the teachers don't care... etc. This can make your kid frustrated, and eventually make them hate yiddishkeit, cv's.

I had to take DD out of Jewish schools, and put her in a public school for elementary. I was terrified and heartbroken at first, but the school was amazing. She got one on one attention for areas she needed help in, and social skills therapy. Several of the tutors turned out to be Jewish, and they were very supportive of her.

We made extra effort for DD to get all the Judaism we could at home, involved her in shul youth groups, and play dates with friends from shul.

Middle school was a whole different issue. It was a nightmare, because the other kids are no longer sweet and cute at that age. The behaviors DD was seeing were really awful. I pulled her out and home schooled her for the rest of the year, and we decided that we absolutely HAD to make Aliyah, because it was her only chance at a proper Jewish life.

She's repeated 6th grade here in Israel, and is on track to start middle school again. B'H, it's working out for us.

Every parent had to decide what their child's needs are, and work with the resources available. If I public elementary school is the best fit, then it's worth a try. You can't be so quick to judge.

israeli83

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Middle school was a whole different issue. It was a nightmare, because the other kids are no longer sweet and cute at that age. The behaviors DD was seeing were really awful. I pulled her out and home schooled her for the rest of the year, and we decided that we absolutely HAD to make Aliyah, because it was her only chance at a proper Jewish life.

My 2 boys are starting yeshiva soon and I'm so scared about the year afterwards because the tuition will be higher and I'm not sure what we'll do. You mentioned you made an Aliyah, how was the transition? I know my kids will be fine if we make an Aliyah while they're still young, but my husband isn't 100% supporting this decision because he thinks we won't be able to find jobs and then our situation will be worse. (moving to Israel would also be beneficial because my family is over there). I don't sleep at nights thinking so much about this. I want my kids to grow up and learn in a jewish school, but it's impossible (unless you make good money!) to pay tuition for more than one child! You can pm me if you'd like to tell me more about your decision to make an aliyah.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 12:05 am
There are quite a few organizations that will help you get your kids into the right Jewish schools - so they're gifted first they need the environment to grow up good jews much too risky. There are lots of big frum doctors and lawyers that went to yeshiva

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 1:04 am
ISN'T HLA A MISSIONARY SCHOOL???

They lure people who cant afford the frum schools in with the promise of a free jewish education.... Meanwhile they are brainwashing jewish children!!!!

STAY AWAY!!!!

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 2:08 am
amother wrote:
ISN'T HLA A MISSIONARY SCHOOL???

They lure people who cant afford the frum schools in with the promise of a free jewish education.... Meanwhile they are brainwashing jewish children!!!!

STAY AWAY!!!!

What in the world are you talking about? I don't even know where to begin addressing the level of ridiculousness in this post.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
There are quite a few organizations that will help you get your kids into the right Jewish schools - so they're gifted first they need the environment to grow up good jews much too risky. There are lots of big frum doctors and lawyers that went to yeshiva

Being gifted has almost nothing to do with being a "big" doctor or lawyer. Gifted kids think differently. I'm saying this as a mother who sent a gifted child to day school (MO, with some enrichment, worked out pretty well.) I believe strongly that environment matters, and that public school should be a last resort.

There are yeshiva day schools that can't or won't work with kids who are out of the mainstream (lack of awareness, lack of funds, what have you). That's a problem.

I'm with FF. If you want a Jewish education for an out of the box kid, you ought to consider aliyah.

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 7:27 am
Aliyah is a total life changing decision not for everyone, people have jobs, family and other obligations that you can't leave that's life. You have to choose an education that fits each child even if that means going out of the box! Gifted and special needs, children have to be educated if you have the resources or can get the resources to do that in the yeshiva system that's wonderful . But if you don't public school is an option maybe researching different neighborhoods outside of Brooklyn is an option. Moving to a different boro or city is still a lot easier then moving to Israel!The public schools outside the city are really like a fancy private school at no cost! Hebrew subjects can be taught after school . This is just an option to think about not for everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children