Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help me plan a beautiful upsherin on a buget

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 4:50 pm
We have a very large close family so its either invite all or make nothing at all. My family all made elegant upsherins, color cordinated/themes ect.. I am not as talanted and on I am tight on money but I would love to do something affordable but cheap if anyone has ideas, pictures, or links, that they can share I would realy apeciate it. And any easy recepies for upsheren themed miniatures that is fool proof would also be greatly appreciated I thought maybe some nice paper goods and 3 or 2 or 3 matching minitures ( I once tried making swirly icing on the top of cupcakes and they came out all crooked so something that uses a mold or looks neat without much effort. And what about the meal the cheapest possible. Thank you

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 7:09 pm
I made an outdoor bagel upsherin. Color coordinated tablecloths. Balloon centerpieces I bought helium and blew up and put picture of him to hold it down. Square paper goods.
Food:
Assorted rolls and bagels
I made nice lox platters with lox and Sable and whitefish
Tuna salad
Cream cheese and butter

Fruit
Honeydew
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Pineapple

4 salads

Don't remember what types but I had one noodle and Israeli and 2 lettuce

4 cheesecakes

Grilled veggies

Fruit Smoothie

Another idea is a salad bar

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 7:22 pm
Bagels (make tuna or eggs salad) with some veg/or a lettuce salad plus something made out of pasta - ex baked ziti and some fruit should be enough. If you get some cheap paper goods and one or two decorations and set it up nicely it can look very nice with out spending to much.

I forgot what its called (plus I don't know were you live so I cant tell you if they sell it by you) but my friend bought these stickers that had pictures for an upsherin (yamuka, tzizis...) that were edible. She made a plain cake, frosted it and stuck them on and it came out really nice. you can also stick them on top of cupcakes - but if you have a lot of people, I would just stick to a cake since if you need a ton of cupcakes, it would get expensive to buy so many stickers (I think she said it was like 8 dollars for 15 stickers )

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 7:34 pm
First get some nice tablecloths from a gemach put ready tuna eggplant cream cheese white fish salad in a Lucite compartment - mini rolls in a basket 2 big salads- you can ask family or to friends to help matching napkins 2 nice salads 2 different cheese cakes Ice coffee. If you're on a budget you don't have to do baked Ziti and egg plant parmesean

naomi6

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 7:35 pm
First get some nice tablecloths from a gemach put ready tuna eggplant cream cheese white fish salad in a Lucitne compartment - mini rolls in a basket 2 big salads- you can ask family or to friends to help matching napkins 2 nice salads 2 different cheese cakes Ice coffee. If you're on a budget you don't have to do baked Zito and egg plant parmesean

tichellady

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:33 pm
Smoked fish is not cheap. I would stick to breakfast foods- homemade muffins, yogurt with granola and fruit ( you can make little trifles) crust less quiche cut into squares in cupcake liners, French bread with a few homemade or store bought spreads, iced coffee and iced tea

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:41 pm
I made a few kinds of muffins in different color cup cake papers (the paper elegant ones that come in a few colors, brown, off white, yellow, pink, etc.)
The muffins I made were all big and scrumptious. So when I served a muffin and a cold coffee I felt they "were served". Had a few salads and bagels at the side. And that was all!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:46 pm
Pasta salads and baked ziti are cheap. Skip the smoked fish.
I find bright fun colors (choose two or three) make for a beautiful atmosphere if you don't want to do a theme. If you do want a theme common ones are cars, nautical, Lego .

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:55 pm
Smoke fish salad cheap

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:07 pm
Go on etsy to get theme ideas.

Gelatin in the little tiny plastic kiddush cups are easy, cute, colorful, and cheap. These can be done in your theme colors.

Small glass vases you get at dollar tree can be filled with candies for a candy bar, in your theme colors.

Dip pretzel rods and sandwich cookies (stuck on a stick) in theme colors.

Mini cup cakes (dunkin hinez) and glaze the top, this is easier than piping frosting. 1/2 a cookie looks like a yarmulkas on top of each cup cake.

Colored (matching to the theme) paper cups filled with popcorn. Make little paper Tzitzit, yarmulkas, scissors, aleph-bais and stick them outside the cups

Rice crispy treats cut int the shape of Tzitzit, yarmulkas, pipe the lines and your son's name.

These are all relatively inexpensive and can make a beautiful dessert table.

Last edited by cbg on Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:21 pm
I have made 5 upshern so far and not all of them were a big deal. Three of them were just goody bags for the kids handed out in shul, no invites just whoever happened to be in shul at the time.

For a couple of them I made a 3-layer sheet cake, frosted it with plain white frosting and put alef bais chocolate molds on top. The cake was delicious and looked beautiful without much effort. You could also make cupcakes with different alef bais letters on top of each.

tzitzis Goody bags--plain white paper bags, draw a black stripe or two, punch holes in the corners and tie string.

Also I think it's important to make it a kid-oriented party. I've seen too many upshern where the focus is on impressing the adults and the kid is an afterthought.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:56 pm
Thank you sooo much for all your great suggestions. I just saw cute wood frames maybe I can paint it themed colors instead of balloons that idea sounded really cute One more problem I just realized,that because everyone that will attend will be driving from out of town it will have to be in the early evening as far as muffins are concerned something like that wont work . I would imagine fish and cheesecake expensive would I be better off with chicken?

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:22 pm
try to remember this is a three year old ... and you should save from buying expensive party goods and put your monies into some nice food ... dixie will do just fine or clearance from amazing savings - blowup some balloons and tie bunches together & voila

tri-coloured pasta salad
deviled eggs
tuna
cut up veggies
some dips: avocado, eggplant, chummus
bagels & cream cheese
cupcakes with frosting & sprinkles
lemon-aid & iced tea [to save on unnecessary & expensive sodas]

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:25 am
Here's what I did-
Tablecloths from a gemach so cheap
Centerpiece -helium balloons held down by paper popcorn holders (in color scheme colors) filled with candy.
Sweet table with - upsherin cake(that wasn't cheap) , picture frames in color scheme with pic of my son, glass vases (borrowed) filled with color schemed candy, some miniatures- I made - chocolate in shape of yarmulke, marshmallows with choc aleph Bais, cookies with icing, cupcakes with frosting . Then some fruits.
Table with pekelach and color schemed mondo's with homemade label that said sons upsherin.

Table with coffee and danishes

Then food " real" good - eggs tuna creamcheese, salads, and 2 pastas.

Most guest had to drive in as well but ddnt want to do fleishig so just did it more like 1/2 if I remember correctly.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 5:00 am
I did ours in the afternoon. I did quiches, bagels, spreads and cheese platters. Lots of cakes and cookies. I didn't want to deal with heating up food but trays of pasta are a good idea. There are inexpensive salads you can do as well. You need to price it and work out if chicken would be cheaper for you then dairy. For me dairy was cheaper. You might find hot dogs and chicken works out cheaper for you if you have to serve real food.

Easy nice looking cupcakes - make mini cupcakes and get ready to roll icing - comes in different colours. Cover each cake with around of icing (easy because so small) then make alef bais letters or pictures (scissors, yarmulka, faces) to decorate. I made my own cake. Cheaper then buying it but still the icing and stuff costs money...

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
Thank you sooo much for all your great suggestions. I just saw cute wood frames maybe I can paint it themed colors instead of balloons that idea sounded really cute One more problem I just realized,that because everyone that will attend will be driving from out of town it will have to be in the early evening as far as muffins are concerned something like that wont work . I would imagine fish and cheesecake expensive would I be better off with chicken?

You can do a salad bar.....ppl.love that with a couple pasta dishes and assorted rolls with a few spreads.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 12:13 am
What you can do with the picture frames is put the letters of his name, one each frame, and line it up on a stand ( could be a long box draped with a table cloth) on a table, then put balloons on either side. On the table in the center put the cake, around put different color nosh, candy, etc. in glass vases.

I saw cute scissor centerpiece, DIY, on Google images. You can get the scissors really cheap, I think I saw then .79.

You can enlarge a picture of your son at Walgreens and tape it on a poster board, like a signing board.

Peckalach bags can be made into Tzitzit.
Leibers sell little packs (and a bigger box) of aleph bet cookies, these can be used as edible decor on the candy buffet, or in the peckalach.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 12:48 am
You can often find wonderful party decorations at the 99 Cent Store or your local dollar store. I'd recommend checking one out and see what is in stock.

Also, if you have an Asian market in your neighborhood, sometimes they have really neat inexpensive decorations. In my city there's a Japanese market that has a whole $1.50 section with decorations and interesting items.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:23 am
The first thing is to determine your budget. Knowing you have one is not enough Wink

Then to know what you like and what people like (ex. around me not many would have gone for salad bar).

Talk to various caterers or (harder) do it yourself. You can also buy some things and do the rest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics