Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lakewood, Jackson bus passes
1  2  3  4  5  Next

L K

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:09 am
Lakewood and Jackson imamothers, have you received your kids' bus passes yet? If so how long ago?
Thanks

L K

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 11:56 am
Bump, anyone did or didn't get passes?

Also, this year is it that schools are in charge of the routes, or is it still board of Ed?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:02 pm
I have gotten nothing from the BOE. I'm wondering if I will. Last year, my teens didn't have transportation (but we did get payment in lieu) because we live 2.2 miles from their high-school. And this year, my youngest will be less than 2 miles from her elementary school (but totally not close and unsafe for her to walk there).

I'm waiting to see how all this plays out.

L K

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:54 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have gotten nothing from the BOE. I'm wondering if I will. Last year, my teens didn't have transportation (but we did get payment in lieu) because we live 2.2 miles from their high-school. And this year, my youngest will be less than 2 miles from her elementary school (but totally not close and unsafe for her to walk there).

I'm waiting to see how all this plays out.

They haven't cancelled courtesy in the end though, have they? For your youngest.

mommyla

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:57 pm
I don't usually get bus passes until after Labor Day.

L K

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:14 pm
mommyla wrote:
I don't usually get bus passes until after Labor Day.

That's odd, cause that's when busing already begins. I used to get them before but not sure when. Just spoke to private school transportation guy (apparently that's a new dept there) - he said he doesn't think passes have gone out yet.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:56 pm
I typically get it 1-2 days before school. The past 2 -3 years have been a mess, with some of my kids not having a bus anywhere from 1 week into school or even 3 months into school.
Last year I got passes for my boys, but no one had ever bid on the way home route so there was no bus for a few weeks. And with my daughter they split a route but didn't have a bus available for 3 months. Fun times.
Normally the first 1 -2 weeks is an absolute disaster and I end up driving half the days even if they do have a bus. At least yom tov is later this year so we have time for the schedule to be nomralized before yom tov interrupts.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:06 pm
I used to get bus passes way in advance of the start of school...it's only the past year or two that it's been....disastrous.

L K

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 4:49 pm
I feel bad for all of you, I've had buses for all the routes in the past but now that I've moved I don't know what's coming.

One school has been adding new stops in Jackson without a problem. Another school was told by board of Ed that they give closest stop in lakewood.

Board of Ed just told me the same thing about closest lakewood stop, which doesn't help.

What's the point of having a stop 5, 7 or 10 min drive away from home? You can't exactly drop off your kids there and go on your merry way. Or park yourself there and wait till all the buses come back, which could be 1.5hr time span for all different dismissal times and routes.

I have a suspicion that the discrepancies come from different bus companies who do or do not want to accommodate the schools they're dealing with.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 3:32 pm
I still have not gotten any bus passes....has anyone else?

imamothertoo

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 3:36 pm
Didn't receive bus passes yet. A neighbor of mine said she spoke with her sons principal and was told she doesn't know if bussing will start on time as the approval was given recently and routes havent been worked on yet and there might not have enough busses yet.
It could all be a rumor so let's hole and pray.

sky

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 5:18 pm
I was hoping girls would actually start at 9:00 and the BOE wouldn't change it.
But it is back to 9:15. it makes it so difficult for working mothers.

L K

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 5:58 pm
I spoke to the dept of private school transportation. Apparently, they are working out the routes for each school, then bidding is done. After route formation and bidding for a particular school are done, info is passed on to the school and bus passes are mailed out.

My schools' routes were not done yet as of yesterday. The guy said passes will prob get mailed next week, and I can be in touch with the school if I want to know what the passes say before they come in the mail (school starts on wed after all).

To sky, forget about 9:15 start, how about girls finishing at 11:30 on Fridays?! We have like 4 days of school out of 7.

To Jackson parents: I was told by this dept Jackson stops are gonna be routed to nearest stop in Lakewood, thank you very much.
What have you done in the past if you didn't get a house stop? Carpool, school van or smth else?
Even if I drive everyone in am, they have at least 3 different dismissal times on weekdays.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:08 pm
L K wrote:
To Jackson parents: I was told by this dept Jackson stops are gonna be routed to nearest stop in Lakewood, thank you very much.
What have you done in the past if you didn't get a house stop? Carpool, school van or smth else?
Even if I drive everyone in am, they have at least 3 different dismissal times on weekdays.

My dh really wants to move to Jackson from Lakewood, and this is one of the main reasons why I don't want to. We both work, but my job is slightly more flexible, so the carpooling always falls on me. This year we didn't have bussing for a couple of months and the carpooling was very difficult. I have teenagers, so there's a good chance I wouldn't even be able to get a carpool together, there's no way I'm able to drive to and from three different schools with different start and end times.

sourstix

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:39 pm
amother above. it sounds so difficult. I was thinking maybe I should call the private transportation like lk did. but I think I will give it time and see whats gonna happen. im gonna give them time to work it out. since its gonna be different bec the boe is not involved in this.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 7:44 pm
yeah we also really have to move eventually, but the bussing sit is keeping us from looking outside of Lakewood borders. We both work full time so carpool would be impossible.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:13 pm
I thought jackson and toms river will be getting lakewood bussing...

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 10:37 pm
I've understood its not guaranteed. Some years it works out. I think the real estate agents say it is true. but when it doesn't work out - they aren't driving.

L K

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
I thought jackson and toms river will be getting lakewood bussing...

We *are* supposed to get Lakewood busing, however, stops are allegedly being aside within Lakewood borders.

It seems that this was the policy last year as well but some schools were able to work it out with the specific bus companies they were using and have them drive to Jackson proper.
That's my personal understanding though.

L K

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 8:27 am
sourstix wrote:
amother above. it sounds so difficult. I was thinking maybe I should call the private transportation like lk did. but I think I will give it time and see whats gonna happen. im gonna give them time to work it out. since its gonna be different bec the boe is not involved in this.

Just to clarify, I didn't call a private transportation company. I googled Lakewood board of education transportation, and on the page that came up there was a number for division(or whatever they are) for private school busing.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics