Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what age do you stop giving pureed jars?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 11:04 am
And start giving only chunks of real food?

besty

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 11:06 am
good question would also love to know the answer....

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 11:08 am
I never give pureed good at all, start with (very soft) chunks from the start. Look up baby led weaning. By 8 or 9 months they really have the hang of it.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 11:28 am
I never really give jars

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 12:37 pm
I never gave jars, but I started giving small chunks of soft food as soon as my baby could scoop them up with her hands and bring them to her mouth. For my first daughter, it wasn't till she was close to 1 (she was really disinterested in solids till then). My younger daughter started picking up and eating little bits of food at 6 months.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 12:46 pm
I still give my 15 month old jars a few times a week not as a meal but after a meal for a fruit jar for desert, or together with a meal. She still loves them, and not everything I make is baby freindly besides that she eats soft carrots, sweet potato squash....

lapmom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 1:58 pm
I gave my baby jars daily till she was about 15 months, by then she was eating regular food. however there are still certain jars that I give her like, first choice prunes and oats which is good for constipation and she likes it too. Shes 21 months by now... Smile

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 2:07 pm
My 3 yo loves them. She gets very jelous of her 18 mo sister who still loves the fruit jars. When my baby (18 mo) is teething this is the only thing she'll eat and the squeezable pouches. And chocolate of course.
I mix it with rice cereal so that it has more calories and nutrition for those teething days.
It's an excellent desert for the kids. Healthy and delicious.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 2:59 pm
Can someone summarize good soft finger foods for an 8-9 month old to start with? Just eating jars now.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 5:52 pm
Cheerios, rice crispy,crackers small pieces of watermelon, ,melon,cooked carrots, potatoes, sweet potaoes peas,sliced bannana, chicken soup chicken- must be small and very soft. They also make baby snacks like gerber graduates puffs. And try bread and cream cheese next
hope this list helps
I would try rice crispy first because its very small and melts in the mouth and cheerios cut in half. You can feed her some pieces firsr until she gets used to it

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:17 pm
Thanks for your responses. Ive heard that there are foods you shouldnt give due to high levels of nitrates such as home cooked carrots.. I would like to give my baby carrots with some chicken soup but now I dont know if its safe..

yogabird

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:25 pm
Carrots from chicken soup not safe for babies? That's a first! Are they safer if they're commercially cooked? How does that work?

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:30 pm
When they stop eating it--my kids weren't crazy about the pureed food and they progressed really quickly from jars to real food, so I make sure to stock up on carrots and squash so I can make muffins--which my kids like.

lucky14

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:34 pm
yogabird wrote:
Carrots from chicken soup not safe for babies? That's a first! Are they safer if they're commercially cooked? How does that work?

I've read that the baby food companies "test" the carrots for nitrate levels. no clue how accurate this all is though (I wonder if they really do this and if so do they really test every batch of carrots they get??). It's hard to tell when people are being too extreme or when these worries are legit.

btw my baby is 8 months- it took him a little while to learn to chew stuff and even now I worry about him chocking due to the fact that he still tries to swallow/suck things down without chewing them. So far he's had small pieces of watermelon, banana, egg yolk (hard boiled). and gerber puffs. only within the past week has he caught on to picking up food and feeding himself so we have much progress to make from here... I'm planning on trying rice tomorrow (clumped up).

losingweight

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 2:38 am
My kids eat real food right away. At about 8-9 months old I start giving them dinners like the rest of the kids. Chicken cut in tiny pieces, meatballs, potatoes, mashed eggs...most foods go on the high chair tray and the baby eats alone. Once you have more kids to give attention to by supper, this way is very easy. And most babies like to eat alone. It's a skill.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 8:38 am
losingweight wrote:
My kids eat real food right away. At about 8-9 months old I start giving them dinners like the rest of the kids. Chicken cut in tiny pieces, meatballs, potatoes, mashed eggs...most foods go on the high chair tray and the baby eats alone. Once you have more kids to give attention to by supper, this way is very easy. And most babies like to eat alone. It's a skill.

What do they eat before 8 months? I started solids at 4.5 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics