Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you have a coffee nook in your kitchen?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 9:28 am
Just chit chat.

We have a coffee machine and next to it, I bought a cheap shelf thingy from Amazing Savings, so I could have two tiers to save space. The top, I put the coffees and sugars. The bottom has coffee stirrers and who knows what else Smile .

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 9:41 am
I have a small Pareve counter that is sort of wedged between the fridge and the wall that corners the stove. I don't have a coffee machine - that would not be good for me or my family, as I don't do well with brewed coffee, too much caffeine - but I keep a pump pot there (for Shabbos, during the week I just put up the kettle) and regular coffee (tasters choice in regular and decalf), a sugar shaker, and tea bags. Hot cups and lids too.....

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 9:49 am
Chayalle wrote:
and tea bags. Hot cups and lids too.....

Rarely drink tea, but that's a good idea. My dh likes from a disposable cup, but we don't have room for it on the counter. I bought lids, but hardly ever anyone ever takes it to go. You take it to go?

Coffee Addict

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 9:58 am
Of course! A great coffee machine at the corner of the milchige counter.
The cabinet over there is filled with refill cups and what not....!!!!

☕️☕️☕️
😂😂😂

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 10:07 am
yo'ma wrote:
Rarely drink tea, but that's a good idea. My dh likes from a disposable cup, but we don't have room for it on the counter. I bought lids, but hardly ever anyone ever takes it to go. You take it to go?

My girls love taking a cup of hot tea with them on their out to school.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 10:33 am
We have a corner of the buffet in the dining area that has the pump pot and electric kettle and DH's coffee paraphernalia. I guess we can call it a hobby haha. In the drawer underneath is coffee and tea.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 12:48 pm
I have a little counter space next to my oven with just enough space for my keurig. in the cabinet above I keep coffee / k cups / mugs/ coffee cups / lids / straws /tea / sugar dispenser etc

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 1:39 pm
A small counter next to my milchik sink supports a hot water urn — it's easy to keep filled from the sink. Mugs hang above the sink, milk is in the fridge immediately to the right of the counter, instant coffee is in an open upper cabinet just left of the sink, and spoons and other flatware are in a flatware utensil crock next to the urn. If I liked sugar in my coffee, there's room for it next to the urn or in the same cabinet as the coffee. Everything is within reach.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 1:49 pm
Nopes. In an ideal world I'd have a kitchen the size of a baseball field with "zones" for different activities, and then maybe I'd have such a thing. But probably not. The convenience of having all the coffee makings right there in the open is far outweighed by the clutter value of having all the coffee makings right there in the open. In my claustrophobic kitchen with a sum total counter space of three linear feet, my coffee makings are behind closed doors--that's how I like it-- in the cabinet where I also keep the dishes. Right on the bottom shelf, right next to the mugs, as it happens. That's where we also keep the cocoa, tea, and sweeteners. The microwave is on the counter below the cabinet and the silverware drawers are right below the counter. It wasn't planned as a "coffee nook" but you could say it works as one. Or you could just say the whole kitchen works as a coffee nook because it's about the size of one.

I hate visual clutter and I hate dirt. Especially kitchen grime. The more things are behind closed doors, out of sight and protected from dust and oil mist, the happier I am.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 3:05 pm
Fuchsia amother, everything you need to make coffee, cocoa, etc. is in one spot, so it sounds to me that yes, you do have a coffee nook, albeit an invisible one. I find that most people prefer to keep nearly all their kitchen stuff behind closed doors — which you say you would prefer even if you had a spacious kitchen.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 5:28 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Fuchsia amother, everything you need to make coffee, cocoa, etc. is in one spot, so it sounds to me that yes, you do have a coffee nook, albeit an invisible one. I find that most people prefer to keep nearly all their kitchen stuff behind closed doors — which you say you would prefer even if you had a spacious kitchen.

Call it what you will, but it wasn't planned that way. We have all of one kitchen cabinet that extends floor to ceiling. Base cabinet holds pots and pans, drawers hold silverware. Counter just big enough for microwave. Lower shelves of top cabinet hold the things we use most often, namely milchik dishes and milchik-associated dry goods like cocoa and coffee. That's all. If I had more cabinet space it wouldn't be that way--I'd have a cabinet dedicated to milchik cookware and tableware, another for fleishik, a third for pareve, and another for dry goods. It's not a huge tircha to open more than one cabinet door. It's a bigger tircha to have to move aside things in the front row to reach things in the back row.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics