Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Milk proteing vs. meat protein

sourstix

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 6:01 pm
are all proteins the same? if yes how can it be someone might be allergic to milk protein and not to meat protein? I didnt ask my doctor yet. but this came up as a discussion cause ds is allergic to milk protein but not to meat protein or any other protein.

Maya

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 6:05 pm
People who allergic to milk have problems with lactose and/or other ingredients found exclusively in dairy products, and has nothing to do with the kind of protein that is meat.

yogabird

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 6:15 pm
Maya milk protein allergy is not the same as lactose intolerance.

Sourstix the protein in milk is not the same as in meat. Why would you think it is?

Maya

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 6:23 pm
yogabird wrote:
Maya milk protein allergy is not the same as lactose intolerance.

Sourstix the protein in milk is not the same as in meat. Why would you think it is?

Oh. So when someone says they have are allergic to dairy products, it's the protein and not the lactose?

imasoftov

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 1:43 pm
Maya wrote:
Oh. So when someone says they have are allergic to dairy products, it's the protein and not the lactose?

Sometimes when someone says they are allergic to dairy what they actually are is lactose intolerant, but lactose intolerance is not an allergy.

And then sometimes people also say they are allergic to something they just don't like.
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com.....32973

Snd then there are people who don't take allergies seriously ...
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com.....75323

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 2:33 pm
Mini biochemistry lesson:

Proteins are made up of chains of smaller particles called amino acids. There are 20 different amino acids, different combinations of which make up all of the proteins found in animals, plants, and everything else living. Allergies are not to individual amino acids* but to particular combinations of them that make up proteins. Say each letter in the following represents an amino acid- AHGKJXSKDJFBOBKDBKJB - and say that's a protein found in cow's milk, but not in human milk, and not in meat including beef. Someone allergic to that is allergic to that, or maybe their allergy could be triggered by just AHGKJXSKDJF as a string of the larger protein, but they won't be allergic to DKSJDFBLKJBAFBHGXO even though it's made of the same amino acids, since they're in a different order.

Also, what imasoftov said.

Anon because of my bio background.
* There are a couple of amino acids it's possible to "allergic" to, but it's not a real allergy (I don't remember the mechanism, but I think ignoring it results in severe mental retardation rather than anaphylaxis). That's a congenital condition, though, and at least in Israel babies are tested for it a couple of days after birth because if they do have it, they need special formula that doesn't have any of that amino acid.

5*Mom

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
* There are a couple of amino acids it's possible to "allergic" to, but it's not a real allergy (I don't remember the mechanism, but I think ignoring it results in severe mental retardation rather than anaphylaxis). That's a congenital condition, though, and at least in Israel babies are tested for it a couple of days after birth because if they do have it, they need special formula that doesn't have any of that amino acid.

PKU - phenylketonuria. It's a metabolic disorder.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 3:33 pm
5*Mom wrote:
PKU - phenylketonuria. It's a metabolic disorder.

Thanks- I blanked on the name. I think Maple Syrup Urine Disease is similar but with a different amino acid- I saw it in the list of diseases my youngest was tested for last year (all clear, b"H).

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 1:46 am
I could be wrong but I think most allergies are reactions to proteins. All proteins are different and the body reacts to each differently.

This is why some people have allergies to foods raw but not cooked - for example it's not uncommon to have a serious allergy to raw or lightly cooked eggs but be able to eat something like a cake that is well-baked with eggs because the baking alters the protein. I've heard of having that with certain vegetables too. My DD is allergic to soy protein but seems to have no problem with soybean oil which is stripped of the protein, and I hear this is quite common.

sourstix

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 4:56 am
Thanx so much everyone for educating me. So it means that you can have intolerance or allergy. Someone asked if your allergic to protein in milk why not in meat? Thanks for helping me understand. Dc had a breath test for lactose the preliminary showed not intolerant. Waiting for the end results.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 7:36 am
As an infant & young toddler I had alot of allergies and digestive issues, and I was allergic to all proteins besides for lamb's meat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics