Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Live In Nanny

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:07 pm
My full time help (babysitting and cleaning) costs $500 each week for 9-5 Monday- Friday.
How much does a live in cost? I'm wondering if for an extra few dollars I can get more hours.

This is in Chicago.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:12 pm
About the same.
Call an agency in your neighborhood and ask

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:17 pm
I'm in NY and pay $650 for the week for live in. She cleans while the older kids are in school, and she's there to help in the morning getting everyone out, and the evening getting everyone bathed and ready for bed. She's there if someone needs to stay home from school or if I can't get home before they do. I can go out in the evening without having to make arrangements. It's not much more money than having someone during my working hours plus some cleaning help, and I get so much more help.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:09 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in NY and pay $650 for the week for live in. She cleans while the older kids are in school, and she's there to help in the morning getting everyone out, and the evening getting everyone bathed and ready for bed. She's there if someone needs to stay home from school or if I can't get home before they do. I can go out in the evening without having to make arrangements. It's not much more money than having someone during my working hours plus some cleaning help, and I get so much more help.

How many days a week?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:24 pm
Hungarians are $550 a week six days a week and 12 hours a day usually 7:30 to 7:30.

In Lakewood people send out their ladies for $11 or $12 an hour so it cost the even less.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
Hungarians are $550 a week six days a week and 12 hours a day usually 7:30 to 7:30

Wow! How can I find one in Chicago? I don't know of any agencies plus then they charge a percentage or large finders fee.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:29 pm
How does one go about finding a worker? Does it make a difference if I'm OOT?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:42 pm
There are many agencies in the ny area. Usually the first two weeks pay of the ladies go to the agency and then after that the ladies get the rest.

Usually if you want them to work Shabbos too is an additional $75 and if you have a night party in your house that you want them there for you pay extra or yomim tovim like pesach where Seders are late you give them a bonus.

If you want them to stay you have to treat them right.

Also these ladies like to live near their friends so if no one in Chicago has one then I don't think they would want to live by you.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:45 pm
Can you provide phone number for a Hungarian agency please

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
How many days a week?
5 days. She stays Friday night and clears up Shabbos dinner, too.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
5 days. She stays Friday night and clears up Shabbos dinner, too.

So you're not getting that much more then me. You pay extra $150 a week but get her an extra 3-4 hours per day.

nosher

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 10:48 am
$650 for five days plus room and board is very steep.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
So you're not getting that much more then me. You pay extra $150 a week but get her an extra 3-4 hours per day.

First of all, I'm in NY, so I'd be paying more than what you're paying for 9-5. Also, I've had her for a few years, that's not where we started. Lastly, those extra 3-4 hours are the hardest parts of the day, the morning rush and the evening rush, so it makes a big difference. It also makes a difference being able to leave the house at any time without having to scramble- need to get to work a bit earlier or stay a bit later? No problem. Kids home due to illness or random day off? No problem. 1 kid has some sort of appointment? I can take just the one without having to drag everyone or find a sitter. You're paying for a lot of other conveniences, beyond having someone doing full time household management.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:03 am
nosher wrote:
$650 for five days plus room and board is very steep.

I agree. If it was 6 days a week it would make more sense.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 8:01 am
Dodgerblue and papaya, your posts are very informative. Could you please answer a few more questions:

Living accommodations - is it ok for them to live in a basement bedroom when bathroom is only on the main floor and full bath on the second floor?

Where do you find them in Lakewood area? Ukrainian would be good too.

How do you know who they are sort of, so you can safely leave your kids with them? For ex, my cleaning help has always been ladies from Mexico or smth similar, when you don't even know their real names, they sometimes just make up a first name and that's that with regards to identity. I never felt it was safe or responsible to leave a baby in the house with only a cleaning lady. How do you solve this issue?

Is it a hassle to provide all the meals, especially when you may be extra busy or weak, like after a baby? After all, kids breakfasts can be simple cereal or eggs, and suppers I may give an easy pita with tuna and salad, or simple pasta? Lunches some kids eat in school as well. Do you find you have to cook at least 2 proper daily meals (lunch and supper) just because the live in is there?

Any other tips?

Thank you

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 9:11 am
Bump
Dodgerblue, where do you find them?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics