Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Status of your cell phone overnight
Previous  1  2

Status of your cell phone overnight is...
Off, but we have another phone in case of emergency  
 11%  [ 20 ]
Off, no other phone  
 2%  [ 5 ]
On, silent. I can see it light up, or keep checking if I wake up  
 29%  [ 51 ]
On, vibrate. So I can hear just in case.  
 14%  [ 25 ]
On with ringer  
 41%  [ 73 ]
Total Votes : 174

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:52 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Does everyone take their cellphone to bed with them??? I leave my cell phone in the kitchen but have a house phone in the bedroom area.
me too. It's charging downstairs but I do have the house phone in my bedroom jic of emergencies.

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:58 pm
I'm so surprised that most ppl leave the ringer on! Are you not afraid it'll wake up dh if it rings?

animeme

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 10:09 pm
fbc wrote:
I'm so surprised that most ppl leave the ringer on! Are you not afraid it'll wake up dh if it rings?

If someone is calling me after bedtime, there's a decent chance I'd need him. Also, ringers have different volume levels. And dh's phone, which is on vibrate, wakes me every time.

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 10:14 pm
I keep mine on near me, on silent, while its charging

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:15 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Does everyone take their cellphone to bed with them??? I leave my cell phone in the kitchen but have a house phone in the bedroom area.

We used to have a house phone in our room, and I left my phone in the kitchen. Now we only have one house phone, and it's usually dead, and the charger is in another room. So I take my phone into my room. I use it when I'm nursing my baby around 11:30, and I sometimes turn it on again when I nurse in the middle of the night.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 1:50 pm
No house phone,
We both keep our phones on do not disturb. If it is an emergency and you call twice it will connect.
It is definitely irresponsible not to have a phone in immediate reach jic of emergency.

I know someone who had a fire in her kitchen, where her cell phones were kept overnight. She had to scream out the bedroom window to alert someone to call 911. Not fun.

Even over Shabbat, dh keeps his phone on silent in his drawer just in case we need it chv.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 4:56 pm
My phone also doubles as my alarm clock so I would keep it in the bedroom even if we did have a house phone.

I don't know about other phones, but the iPhone alarm will ring even if the phone is set to silent/vibrate.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:19 am
On, charging in dh's office. We don't hear

workermom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 11:21 am
I find it so interesting how many people keep their phones on all night,with a ringer/vibrating. I used to keep mine off until I realized DH does also. So, now mine is on silent (with vibrate off also) on the other side of the room.

And, just for the record, I have woken up in the morning with numerous messages from people wondering why I am ignoring them and not answering.That was enough of a reason for me to decide that I need to keep my phone totally on silent.
But, who answers texts at 2 am when there is no baby in the family yet? I tend to sleep then.

bluebird

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 1:48 pm
I also use my phone as an alarm clock so it's on all night. I use the do not disturb function to make everything silent except the alarm to wake up and calls from DH in case he's out and there's an emergency. I keep it on the other side of my bedroom so I have to get out of bed to turn off the alarm instead of rolling over and pressing "snooze" repeatedly.

Shabbatiscoming: we're of the same generation but I also ditched my landline. It's an extra expense I don't need, although I do sometimes think it would be good to have in an emergency since landlines are powered. I could just plug in a regular phone without a plan that I'd only be able to use to call 911.

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:45 am
My phone is my alarm, so its on all night. except shabbos. I have older children who when traveling are supposed to text me when they reach their destination-no matter what time it is. Texts wont wake me up, but if I wake up at 3am, I can check my phone and see that they got where they were going okay, Its for my peace of mind.
We have a home phone, but only in the kitchen and rarely use it. That one is for when there is s/o here w/o a cell phone.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics