Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nervous for child's (baby teeth) root canal

cheerios

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:43 pm
Any tips or info about it - how long is the procedure? How painful? Was your kid on pain meds afterwards?
Tia

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:02 pm
Are you referring to a pulpotomy? It's a much faster, lighter procedure than an adult root canal. I've been around children who have had them and have gone straight to school afterwards, not requiring pain medication; however, every child is different. I don't think that you need to be nervous. Good luck!

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:37 pm
Baby root canal is very different than adult root canal, as the nerves of a baby tooth don't extend very deeply at all. The procedure is much quicker and simpler and pain meds are not generally recommended afterwards.

Caveat- choose a pediatric dentist that is worth your time and money- someone who is patient, loves kids, is reassuring, and will give your kid the time of day!!

Good Luck Tongue Out

cheerios

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 3:16 pm
Thanks for the replies!

Scrabble123 wrote:
Are you referring to a pulpotomy ? It's a much faster, lighter procedure than an adult root canal. I've been around children who have had them and have gone straight to school afterwards, not requiring pain medication; however, every child is different. I don't think that you need to be nervous. Good luck!

Not sure if that's what he needs. All the dentist said is that there was an abscess and he'll need a root canal.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 4:51 pm
never knew a kid would need a root canal - guess there is always something new to learn

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/o.....ldren

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 4:54 pm
greenfire wrote:
never knew a kid would need a root canal - guess there is always something new to learn

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/o.....ldren

Baby Root Canals (Pulpotomy) A baby root canal is the most commonly needed nerve treatment for a baby tooth. This treatment is necessary when a cavity in a primary tooth is deep enough to have affected part of the nerve.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 5:11 pm
baby root canals take very fast and is usually done in one shot.

tweety1

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 8:16 pm
I can say the same. Its very different than adult root canal. Totally not as scary. For my daughter is took abt 20-25 min and was back to regular as soon as numbness wore off. She didnt require any meds afterwards. Stay calm and everything will be ok.

ceebee

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 8:46 pm
There are sadly lots of scams from pediatric dentists claiming babies need root canals. I am not referring to your specific situation but just please be aware of this and do your research. You can easily look up some cases online.

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 8:49 pm
With an adult root canal, they stick this stick up into each nerve of the affected tooth, to kill each nerve. It's not pleasant.

They dont do that with a baby root canal, cuz the nerves are very shallow and pretty easy to access and treat.

So its a totally different procedure. That's why it has a different name- a pulpotomy.

Good Luck! Tongue Out

cheerios

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:00 pm
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm glad to hear it's not as scary as an adult root canal.

gold21 wrote:

So its a totally different procedure. That's why it has a different name- a pulpotomy. Tongue Out

Got it. Thanks for explaining.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:40 am
Baby root canals aren't much work. Takes a few minutes longer then filling a cavity. Its really nothing.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:56 am
Once they numb the area there is no pain. No different from the child's perspective as having a simple cavity. When my kid had it went very quickly.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:50 am
This past year, one of my kids had a root canal with just Novocaine. She sat through it the same a filling. Another kid had one or two with Novocaine and laughing gas. A third kids had three or four and needed Novocaine, laughing gas, and an oral sedative. She also needed the sedative for regular fillings or she just won't sit still/cooperate. None of them needed pain medication after. Just takes a few minutes longer than a regular filling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics