Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How often do you need a sheitel vs want one or get work done

Rose816

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:25 pm
Just out of curiousity:

How often do you feel like you NEED a new sheitel, meaning you've exasperated the life out of your sheitel (including the brand and lifespan would be cool.)

How often do you want to buy a sheitel, meaning you still have a nice sheitel at home but you'd like something new/different/nicer (I'd love to hear what you're looking for!)

How often do you do color work or add hair, or do general repairs?

For instance, for myself, I don't NEED a new sheitel, but I'd love to have a darker one with some highlights (probably a Bella, Sary, or Irene are realistic budget-wise at the moment) and I'm too chicken to dye my light sheitel dark. Tongue Out I've never had any repairs or color done, and I do my own wash and sets so I haven't put too much money into them.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:54 pm
I probably get a new one every 3-4 years. Usually in the $1500 range. I don't have more than two at a time. I don't wear band falls any more, just full ones (plus hats/tichels).

ETA I color them as needed but usually at the 2 yr mark and then once a year til the wig dies.

Last edited by MamaBear on Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:03 pm
The longest I ever kept a sheitel was for 6 years and I probably should have thrown it out at least a year before that. It needed maintenance at least once a year (coloring/ recut etc.) It looked like a thin limp rag.

I have a cheaper end wig ($1000) for almost 4 years and I'm very happy with it. I recut it and colored it once so far (around a year ago) and I can probably get another year or two out of it.

I have a Bella that I got almost 2.5 years ago and it may need a color job now but I'm trying to push it as long as possible. I'm assuming I'll get another year or two out of it.

I find that coloring the wig, kills it.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:06 pm
I dye and cut mine whenever I'm in the mood. I do it myself.
This and sewing the cap myself has saved my sheitels for now.
I don't really want to buy a new one since it's a lot of money for something with a high likelihood of my dissatisfaction with it.

At this point I have one wig for nine years, and one for maybe five. I rarely wash them since they look better unwashed (maybe I should go anonymous embarrassed )
After dying them, they are so much softer.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:17 pm
Shaitel usually lasts on average 4 years. I often stretch it to death often for 6 years on average though it doesn't look the same. I would love to replace wigs more often but don't.

I would wash and set my wig every three weeks if I had enough disposable money for that many washes, that many wigs that having a wig out of commission during washing wouldn't affect me, and enough for replacing wigs more often due to more frequent treating. But alas, I wash much more seldomly.

willymom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 7:19 pm
cnc wrote:
The longest I ever kept a sheitel was for 6 years and I probably should have thrown it out at least a year before that. It needed maintenance at least once a year (coloring/ recut etc.) It looked like a thin limp rag.l

I have a cheaper end wig ($1000) for almost 4 years and I'm very happy with it. I recut it and colored it once so far (around a year ago) and I can probably get another year or two out of it.

I have a Bella that I got almost 2.5 years ago and it may need a color job now but I'm trying to push it as long as possible. I'm assuming I'll get another year or two out of it.

I u give the wig to a qualified colorist that uses high quality products it actually might even make the hair in better condition than before..and to u ladies that color their wigs themselves. .beware of box dyes from the drugstore they are terribly damaging. Definitely not worth it.

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 7:42 pm
willymom wrote:
I u give the wig to a qualified colorist that uses high quality products it actually might even make the hair in better condition than before..and to u ladies that color their wigs themselves. .beware of box dyes from the drugstore they are terribly damaging. Definitely not worth it.

I've always given them to experienced colorists- I'm definitely not the DIY type Wink

My shaitel macher also says that coloring shortens the life of the hair. How would it make the hair better? I'm technically processing it even more than it already is no?

chica

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:32 pm
I agree that colouring makes hair better. I find that it smooths it out, conditions it and brings new life back into the wigs. I've used the box colouring in the past and that KILLED the wigs, however now I go to the beauty supply/salon quality dye and it's soon much better. I love it. Brings new life to the wig and I don't feel the itch to buy a new one so quickly!

naomi6

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:37 pm
I hear the BKs are so bodyful they will probably look great for at least 4 years before they need sprucing up.

willymom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:09 am
cnc wrote:
I've always given them to experienced colorists- I'm definitely not the DIY type Wink

My shaitel macher also says that coloring shortens the life of the hair. How would it make the hair better? I'm technically processing it even more than it already is no?
that depends if ur lightening or adding color..if u highlight it it will get some degree of damage..u are stripping out color but adding darker roots/ darkening an oxidized will usually give it a boost..high quality products are very gentle and conditioning

willymom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:12 am
naomi6 wrote:
I hear the BKs are so bodyful they will probably look great for at least 4 years before they need sprucing up.
in my experience even the very expensive wigs need a sprucing up/ color after two years.especially if worn under the sun alot.

rachaelle

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:24 am
cnc wrote:
The longest I ever kept a sheitel was for 6 years and I probably should have thrown it out at least a year before that. It needed maintenance at least once a year (coloring/ recut etc.) It looked like a thin limp rag.

What company is the cheaper end wig that you're happy with?

cnc

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 8:54 am
rachaelle wrote:
What company is the cheaper end wig that you're happy with?

Esther Aron
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels