Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Public schools in Queens, NY?
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:

At one point, they did not charge tuition altogether. But then some of the kids were out of control and the parents didn't care, because it was free. Once they started charging tuition, then the parents who didn't care stopped sending their kids to Yeshiva, and the schools became much more manageable.

I don't get it. So you mean if the kids are out of control, the solution is charging the parents money? what about the teachers? the teachers and the whole system of the school should be good. They're the ones that have to take care of the kids' discipline, not by charging the parents! It just doesn't make sense and that's why I have doubt about these yeshivas. My husband works at a charter school as a teacher and their discipline area is superb and I think all schools should be similar to this (discipline area).

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:27 pm
I live in Queens and I personally know two 12 year old Bukharian girls whose parents sent them to public school last year in Queens. They felt very upset and isolated there and there were very few Jewish kids in the public school. This is in Kew Gardens Hills. Maybe in Forest Hills there are more ... I don't know why you would do this to your kids if you could try to work with Chazaq and the other schools that were mentioned.

NEVER MIND THAT I KNOW SIMILARLY SITUATED FAMILIES AND THEY GO TO FLORIDA AND ON CRUISES AND SO MANY OTHER LUXURIES but don't shell out for their precious kids' Jewish educations.

I am living right in the midst of this and these are my babysitters and other helpers and I see it first hand so don't try to tell me I am wrong.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Queens and I personally know two 12 year old Bukharian girls whose parents sent them to public school last year in Queens. They felt very upset and isolated there and there were very few Jewish kids in the public school. This is in Kew Gardens Hills. Maybe in Forest Hills there are more ... I don't know why you would do this to your kids if you could try to work with Chazaq and the other schools that were mentioned.

NEVER MIND THAT I KNOW SIMILARLY SITUATED FAMILIES AND THEY GO TO FLORIDA AND ON CRUISES AND SO MANY OTHER LUXURIES but don't shell out for their precious kids' Jewish educations.

I am living right in the midst of this and these are my babysitters and other helpers and I see it first hand so don't try to tell me I am wrong.

You may not be wrong but your attitude is a bit hard to take. Just because your neighbors do this doesn't mean that the OP is in the same position.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
[/b]

You may not be wrong but your attitude is a bit hard to take. Just because your neighbors do this doesn't mean that the OP is in the same position.

Thanks for this reply.

Quote:
live in Queens and personally know two 12 year old Bukharian girls whose parents sent them to public school last year in Queens. They felt very upset and isolated there and there were very few Jewish kids in the public school. This is in Kew Gardens Hills. Maybe in Forest Hills there are more ... don't know why you would do this to your kids if you could try to work with Chazaq and the other schools that were mentioned.

NEVER MIND THAT KNOW SIMILARLY SITUATED FAMILIES AND THEY GO TO FLORIDA AND ON CRUISES AND SO MANY OTHER LUXURIES but don't shell out for their precious kids' Jewish educations.

am living right in the midst of this and these are my babysitters and other helpers and see it first hand so don't try to tell me am wrong.

OP here.
I grew up in Israel and when we moved to NY, my parents couldn't afford the yeshivas. Back then, they didn't know of any jewish organizations that could help. So I went to a public school in forest hills. I was in high school, so I was older and I already understood a lot of things. I knew not to eat from my friends' foods (I brought food from home only) and I never had any issues. In forest hills, I guess there are more Buhkarians over there that send their kids to public schools since I knew many. I'm still in touch with one Bukharian girl that went with me in HS and she's now a lawyer and is raising a frum family. So I don't think the people that send their kids to public schools are destroying their kids. I think it depends. I'm not sure how it would be with elementary kids since I went to public when I was in HS. For now, I prefer to send my young kids to yeshiva schools. But just so you know, I actually know many kids that went to yeshiva and later on in their adult life..they just became secular and some told me that the yeshiva was a waste of time for them. This is one thing I don't want my kids to ever feel like yeshiva is a waste of time! I want the best education for them..and of course it would be best to send them to be with other jewish kids and study torah, but I also have to make sure they're learning math & science like everyone else!

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:37 pm
I am the slate grey amother from yesterday who wrote the mean-ish reply. I don't know if it will show up as the same person because yesterday I was on my home computer and today I am on my work computer.

First of all I want to apologize for my mean tone. I was thinking about it all morning and I am glad that I have the chance to apologize.

Second of all I am sure that there are lots of cultural norms at play here that I am not aware of and can't understand because they are not my cultural norms, for better or for worse.

I think that the reason why I was feeling upset in my post is because I feel bad for the two 12 year old girls that I know - I see them suffering and I am too chicken to talk to their parents and recommend that they send them to yeshiva.

I do have a very close Bukharian friend and when she told me that her kids were sending their kids to public school I was very forceful that she tell them to switch. B"H they all switched. They had also been concerned about math and science and they found different schools across the religiosity/secular studies spectrum to meet the needs of the different kids and families.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children