Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Tights for school ~ sensory issues

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:23 am
My 11 year old dd has to start wearing tights to school. She is very sensory and NEVER wears tights.
Is there a brand or style that you could recommend that is supposed comfortable? She wears adult sizes.
Thank you

animeme

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:36 am
I would look at cotton tights, to avoid the lycra feeling and breath more. Dd gets hers from Target. Wash them first, maybe a couple of times, and give the waistband a couple of yanks.

If she's tucking in her school shirt, tucking it into the tights too can help alleviate the feeling of elastic on the waist for some people.

animeme

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 9:55 am
Also, if she wears very long skirts, check in with the school about whether tights are actually necessary, vs knee highs, possibly combined with cotton biker shorts.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:08 am
DD who is very sensory will only wear tights from the comfort toes line (there's no seam at the toe) of trimfit cotton tights or butterfly lycra tights (either school girl collection or the more expensive line, not the lower end line as it's not smooth enough).
Note that halfway through the year I need to replace the cotton tights when the crotch stretches out for her.
And the lycra tights eventually rip.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:10 am
I don't think it's the seam on the toes that bothers her. It's more the tights covering her whole leg.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
I don't think it's the seam on the toes that bothers her. It's more the tights covering her whole leg.

How is she with leggings? Maybe you can speak to the school privately and find out if she can continue wearing knee socks, but with leggings that will cover everything else.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 1:00 pm
My 11 year old DD also has to start wearing tights this year. She is dreading it. Where can I buy the comfort toe brand?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 3:31 pm
In my DDs' school, the girls can wear leggings if they wear a style of shoe that covers the ankle, so it appears more like tights.

I have children who have sensory sensitivities, so I understand. The school administration has been so supportive when I explain things in terms of the sensory issues.

Hope you will find some good options & that the school will work with you.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
My 11 year old DD also has to start wearing tights this year. She is dreading it. Where can I buy the comfort toe brand?

Any hosiery shop that carries the trimfit cotton tights. Look for the solid colored knit tights that have the little round sticker stuck on that says comfort toe.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 4:32 pm
funny my daughter had this problem way before I ever knew what sensory was from imamother

trimfit has proper heel & toe shapes that are seamless - that is the trick [but she was/is very petite]

https://trimfit.com/collections/girls/tights

so does hanna andersson

http://www.hannaandersson.com/.....4_93P

amother
White

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:27 pm
Please please find a way that she doesn't have to wear them if she really hates them.

From a person with sensory issues from before the term was invented who HATES wearing anything other than short socks

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
butterfly lycra tights (either school girl collection or the more expensive line,

Slightly OT, but what is their more expensive line called? I've only heard of Butterfly-School collection.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
Slightly OT, but what is their more expensive line called? I've only heard of Butterfly-School collection.

I only bought them once so far, at the end of last season, so I don't know how to describe them offhand. The kids have been wearing socks since then.
We used to buy the school collection only, for shabbos winter tights, but needed something better quality due to a skirt that was pilling the tights. I hadn't known about the better line of butterfly tights but the saleswoman suggested it because they are thicker than the school collection (40 denier microfiber) and they really were great.
I should be heading to the socks store this week, so will update this thread when I do. IIRC the cheaper line is called the kids collection, the there's the school collection, and the more expensive line might be 60 denier.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
I believe it's the teal package called microfiber deluxe. Can anyone confirm?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children