Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Coq Au Vin

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 10:38 am
How do you brown the chicken in Coq Au Vin recipes, when making lots of portions that wont fit in one layer in even the biggest frying pan?

1- How about if I grill all the chicken on my cooktop grill, to brown it, and thats big?
2- Anything I can use thats natural, to get a similar to bacon taste, or do I just leave that out?
3- Chocolate Moose has a Coq Au Vin recipe, from years ago. Any opinions on how this recipe compares?

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=vin

The below recipe has amazing reviews.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/2.....t%202

Ingredients
1 h 45 m 6 servings 337 cals

6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 pinch kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
10 large button mushrooms, quartered
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
2 shallots, sliced
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons butter
1 1/2 cups red wine
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup chicken broth

Prep
15 m
Cook
1 h 30 m
Ready In
1 h 45 m
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Season chicken thighs all over with salt and black pepper.
Place bacon in a large, oven-proof skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate, leaving drippings in the skillet.
Increase heat to high and place chicken, skin-side down, into skillet. Cook in hot skillet until browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate; drain and discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the skillet.
Lower heat to medium-high; saute mushrooms, onion, and shallots with a pinch of salt in the hot skillet until golden and caramelized, 7 to 12 minutes.
Stir flour and butter into vegetable mixture until completely incorporated, about 1 minute.
Pour red wine into the skillet and bring to a boil while scraping browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir bacon and thyme into red wine mixture; simmer until wine is about 1/3 reduced, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour chicken broth into wine mixture and set chicken thighs into skillet; bring wine and stock to a simmer.
Cook chicken in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Spoon pan juices over the chicken and continue cooking until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 30 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer chicken to a platter.
Place skillet over high heat and reduce pan juices, skimming fat off the top as necessary, until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; remove and discard thyme. Pour sauce over chicken.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 10:49 am
How many servings are you making? It's not unusual to saute protein in several batches because you want to crisp the protein to create a fond and not steam it. If you cram too much into a saute pan, you will wind up steaming the meat which defeats the purpose of sautéing. I have to saute several of my braised dishes in several batches.

That said, you could compromise by sautéing a few portions of the protein and broiling the rest to get the crisp skin. You need to saute some of it to create the fond and also some of the fat flavor in the dish. This is essential to the final results.

You can use facon for the bacon taste. Or you could use something like smoked pastrami but facon would produce the best result.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey