Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
YAPCHIK and halacha

malkacooks

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 1:03 pm
Ladies,

those of you who cook it overnight in a oven and then serve it the next day at shabbat lunch how does that work halachikally?

(asking for my bal teshuvah sister in law)

sky

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 1:19 pm
What are her concerns?

There are some different opinions with some possible issues- so it may be an ask your rav.

I.e. -

opening and closing ovens with food inside - I open an oven that is on and remove items on shabbos and close with additional items insides. My mother does not, if she opens and closes an oven that is on on shabbos she has to remove everything.

Putting uncooked food in oven immediately before shabbos - There are opinions that you can put food that is raw into the oven immediately before candle lighting. Personally I don't hold of that and food has to be fully cooked. With Yapchik this may not apply as I bake the yapchik first and then leave in the oven at a low temperature.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 1:21 pm
What exactly do yo mean?

How would you use the oven?

This is what I do if I want to use the oven all night.

1. Ask your LOR
2. Set your oven at desired temp.
***NOTE*** Most ovens have an automatic 12 hr shut off. You need to look at your manual and see if this can be over rided. If your oven has Sabbath mode, then it can be over rided.
3. Put the food in. You can only open your oven once, to take out the food.

So, if you want to keep your Friday night meal in as well, this is what Ido

Again Ask you LOR

I set everything Friday before candle lighting.
I put a knife in the door to keep the door open
The handle will get hot, be careful.

I take out Friday food when I'm ready to serve.
And close the door shut until the next day.

If I need to open it twice the next day, I open it once, and then put a knife in to keep the door slightly open.

***NOTE*** Many ovens have a fan that goes on and off when the door is open. If this is true for your oven, you will need to tape down the little plunger/switch so that the oven control board thinks the oven door is closed.

Make sure to ask your LOR.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:03 pm
Cbg I don't understand what you wrote because I really thought the issue with the oven was CLOSING the door with food still inside.

If I'm making something like yapchik for lunch I would set the oven to switch off around lunchtime and put the yapchik in raw right before Shabbat. Friday night dinner I would (earlier) heat till piping hot and then move to the platta (when I put in the yapchik) to stay warm until dinner time.

Guess this is an AYLOR situation.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 4:09 pm
As per rabbi the problem is you can only open the door 1 time.
By putting the knife in the door you are not opening or closing the door.
Again this is how my Rebbetzin explained it to me when she makes cholent in the oven. You close it 1 time you open it 1 time.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 5:02 pm
Did the rebetzin also tell you the thing about the knife? Is the idea that it's not considered closed because of the knife? Because I still funny get it because then you are closing the door when there is l food in the oven when it is actually Shabbat. As opposed to closing the door before Shabbat on the cooked or uncooked food, and only closing it again when it is empty.

Did you rebetzin tell you the thing about the kinfe?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus