Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How are capons kosher ?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:56 am
gp2.0 wrote:

Grow and Behold prides themselves as organic (though they are not certified organic IIRC). They are quite expensive (think 3 times the price) and most kosher veal on the market is not free range as Grow and Behold's rose veal (which as I heard has quite a different taste and texture than standard tzar balei chaim veal which most people are used to).

ETA: What is going on with the quote function?

octopus

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 10:42 am
I do know that a lot of cuts of kosher meat may have the same name as nonkosher counterparts but aren't really the same thing at all.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 10:59 am
imasoftov wrote:
I believe that meat that has undergone nikkur is available in some places.

https://www.ou.org/torah/machs.....raim/

I've heard of this. But practically speaking, if you see kosher meat labeled "filet mignon" in the US, it probably isn't real filet mignon.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
Grow and Behold prides themselves as organic (though they are not certified organic IIRC). They are quite expensive (think 3 times the price) and most kosher veal on the market is not free range as Grow and Behold's rose veal (which as I heard has quite a different taste and texture than standard tzar balei chaim veal which most people are used to).

Right, my point was just to illustrate that it's possible to call meat veal even though the calf wasn't tortured.

Also, I read that the way they feed the calves to make veal causes lesions to form on the lungs which would make the meat unkosher.

The meat industry is altogether inhumane in many ways (which are generally accepted by society and legal.) Any cow or chicken or whatever that wasn't able to free range suffered more than an animal who was able to. So if our veal are mistreated, it's in the same ways our cows and chickens are mistreated, but not in a specifically even more inhumane way (I hope.)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:11 am
That sounds awful gp2.0! Didn't hear about the lesions Sad

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 4:11 pm
ugh ~ back to being a vegetarian ...

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 4:51 pm
Veal is no longer available in Satmar butcher stores for a few years now. Only Meal Mart carries them. I think that calves are being fed a new formula recently which is not kosher, so some butcher stores like Satmar, don't want to sell veal anymore. if I ever want veal for yomtov, I have to shlep to Meal Mart.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 8:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Grow and Beholds chickens are pastured, not organic. From my understanding, organic is fed organic food and must have access to the outside-even if its on concrete. Organic is regulated by the govt. Pastured chickens must have access to actual grassland and eat what they are meant to eat. Though I dont think pastured is regulated by the govt like organic is.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:52 pm
So confused. I see capons in the butcher from time to time. They are always whole birds, about double the size of a regular chicken. I just thought they were extra large chickens.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 5:28 am
MiracleMama wrote:
So confused. I see capons in the butcher from time to time. They are always whole birds, about double the size of a regular chicken. I just thought they were extra large chickens.

They probably are. The kosher butcher industry pulls a lot of verbal shtick. Similarly, the "Cornish hens" you buy in the store are not Cornish hens at all, just smaller-than-average chickens. True Cornish hens are tiny little pitzelach only big enough to make one adult portion by American standards.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 7:42 am
DH's family doesn't eat veal for kashrus reasons, (not animal cruelty). Not sure I understand the reason. Original I thought it was an issue they were fed so much dairy that it wasn't fully obsorbed but now I"m not sure.

foie gras duck is also cruelty issue. I recently read an article about how some kashrus agencies won't certify.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 9:00 am
zaq wrote:
They probably are. The kosher butcher industry pulls a lot of verbal shtick. Similarly, the "Cornish hens" you buy in the store are not Cornish hens at all, just smaller-than-average chickens. True Cornish hens are tiny little pitzelach only big enough to make one adult portion by American standards.

I buy those tiny Cornish hens. They are just about a pound each including the bones, sometimes less, serves one (feeds 2 sometimes if we're having a full meal). Individually vacuum packed and available in the freezer by Marvid. An expensive treat for a yom tov meal once in a while.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 9:13 am
The capon thing makes me laugh because growing up when my mother wanted to make a more fancy dinner she made a capon. Then I started keeping kosher and found out it means something very different.

Rav Moshe Feinstein wrote a teshuva about eating veal. In his words a baal nefesh does not eat it. I was back and forth on it for a long time and when DH told me that, it was the end of it for me. I really believe that factory farming is tzar baalei chaim and if one day my budget allows for it I want to stop buying it completely. We dont eat a lot of meat so I am trying to get in the habit of buying empire for chicken because I think its the best of them all. I figure a few more dollars a week wont kill me for something that is healthier in the long run.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 9:20 am
Right...factory farming is horrible, even without additional horrible practices.

Anyone ever seen that video of the live baby chicks being fed into a meat grinder? There's no use for male baby chicks of the egg-laying chicken variety so they kill them immediately. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

yogabird

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 10:53 am
mha3484 wrote:
The capon thing makes me laugh because growing up when my mother wanted to make a more fancy dinner she made a capon. Then I started keeping kosher and found out it means something very different.

Rav Moshe Feinstein wrote a teshuva about eating veal. In his words a baal nefesh does not eat it. I was back and forth on it for a long time and when DH told me that, it was the end of it for me. I really believe that factory farming is tzar baalei chaim and if one day my budget allows for it I want to stop buying it completely. We dont eat a lot of meat so I am trying to get in the habit of buying empire for chicken because I think its the best of them all. I figure a few more dollars a week wont kill me for something that is healthier in the long run.
Why are empire chickens better?

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 10:56 am
I was under impression and please correct me if I am wrong that they are given much more room to roam and are never fed hormones or antibitoics. I buy their organic boneless thighs for a fairly decent price.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 4:05 pm
zaq wrote:

You can get real cornish hens. We shecht them almost every Friday. They are usually only about a pound or two each. Sometimes smaller. They are individually packaged and sold by the piece, not by the pound. They are also sold boneless-usually to caterers.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 1:01 pm
Capon/chapon is that young rooster... yes it's sold.
Entrée is the first course.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions