Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why does my pepper steak come out dry?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:26 am
What can I do to prevent dryness?

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:27 am
Don't cook it as long. You would have to submit your recipe for analysis if it is anything else. If it is not your cooking technique, then perhaps the quality of your meat is not that good.

fiddle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:29 am
overcooking the meat will do that. sear first and not with the peppers and liquid, only add afterwards until mixed in evenly.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:34 am
Is it tough or dry? Pepper steak is a tough lean cut of meat and needs to cook low and slow.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:42 am
As you can see from the posts, there is confusion regarding your recipe.

If you are making a stir fy dish, the meat is cooked quickly and seared. It is taken out of the pan, the veggies cooked and then added at the last minute with the sauce. The cut of meat is either relatively soft like a good sirloin stick or it is sliced against the grain which makes it more tender to chew. At any rate, stir fry proteins are sliced thin. If you slice while semi frozen, it's easier. Marinating the slices in the sauce for a bit before cooking helps the flavor and also tenderizes a bit.

I am unaware of any pepper steak dish that is braised as I am only familiar with the stir fry Chinese type of dish that is quickly cooked. Stir fry dishes are not cooked long and slow I.e. Braised which is a different type of cooking technique. Pot roasts amd stews are braised.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:50 am
Thanks everyone. It was a stir fry. I think I cooked it to long. I seared, took out of the pan , did the vegetables and then added into the pan. Maybe I seared to long or cooked to long after. Maybe both.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:53 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Thanks everyone. It was a stir fry. I think I cooked it to long. I seared, took out of the pan , did the vegetables and then added into the pan. Maybe I seared to long or cooked to long after. Maybe both.

You really don't want to reheat the meat for more than about a minute or so when you add back to the pot.

Also, when you do the initial sear, it's really for a brief period of time. Maybe a minute or so; just enough to sear but should still be very rare because you are cooking thin slices which cook quickly and also you will be cooking again when you add back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen