Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Send dd to school when contagious with strep?
Previous  1  2

Simple1

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 11:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
I remember my DD, who attends a nut-free school, told me that "everyone" brings nuts and why can't she....I asked her how she would feel if something happened to X (a girl we know who is severely nut-allergic) because SHE brought in a nut snack.

As others have written, there can be children in school who have compromised immunity. Child cancer survivors come to mind. How would you and your DD feel if one of these children got sick because of you?

Your DD is in good company BTW.....my DD also has strep (but is no longer contagious) this week.

The right thing is for OP to keep her DD home.

But I struggle with anxiety that I might cause harm to others, and this and other posts are making me uneasy. It's very easy to send a child to school before they're symptomatic, but still infected. What about siblings of the one with strep? How do we know for sure that they are not carrying germs? If we were to be super considerate, we'd miss half of the school days.

As far as nuts, I never heard of the girls bringing snacks with actual nuts. But there are girls who bring "may contain nuts" or "made in a factory with nuts". I think they are more strict in classes with the actual allergic kid.

googly

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 12:08 pm
most definitely not! not fair to others

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 1:49 pm
Simple1 wrote:

As far as nuts, I never heard of the girls bringing snacks with actual nuts. But there are girls who bring "may contain nuts" or "made in a factory with nuts". I think they are more strict in classes with the actual allergic kid.

Or things that contain peanut butter.....

A good friend of mine used to teach 5th grade in a Lakewood school...she told me she had a highly allergic student. One day, the poor kid started wheezing - her eyes were running, her nose was running, and she was starting to cough......it turned out that another student had a peanut butter sandwich. The student sat across the room from the allergic student, and the sandwich was inside a plastic bag, inside her briefcase.

Not to get anyone anxious....but awareness is key to keeping these kids safe.

You are right, they could've been exposed by someone asymptomatic. This does not absolve us of our responsibility to minimize exposure when we KNOW someone is ill.

As I posted elsewhere, my niece, who is now B"H in remission after serious treatment, has been feverish all week, struggling to fight a virus she likely picked up somewhere, that she can't seem to get rid of.

Keep you kids home when they are sick. Please.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 2:00 pm
Once in highschool, a girl in my class came to school with strep, and I caught it. I was so mad at her for being so irresponsible - she knew she was contagious and came anyway and it was completely her fault that I got sick.

Tell your dd to imagine how the other girls will feel towards her if she makes them sick and miss school.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 3:20 pm
That's another can of worms...some high schools really make it difficult for students to miss class, to the extent that students will come when they ought to stay home...leading to students catching whatever is going around until half the class can be out with the same sickness.

cinnabuns

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 3:29 pm
miami85 wrote:
My doctor told me that she wouldn't tell an adult to stay home with strep, but 12 year-old, and the school under the regs of the dept of Health, I wouldn't risk it. You can tell her that if she's going to school and functioning sub par with strep, its as if not going. stay home and rest and go back tomorrow.

Am I the only one who gets seriously sick when I have strep? Like laid up in bed and feeling awful, even on meds? I get it every year Sad also happens to be I teach two year olds..

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:46 pm
According to our pediatrician after the second dose they can go to school if they feel well.
The impitaigo sounds worrisome. Is there anyway to keep it covered so she doesn't touch it?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:51 pm
cinnabuns wrote:
Am I the only one who gets seriously sick when I have strep? Like laid up in bed and feeling awful, even on meds? I get it every year Sad also happens to be I teach two year olds..

No Sad you are not the only one.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics