Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it acceptable to show up to a Sheva Brachot uninvited?
Previous  1  2

m in Israel

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
Just because she's a convert doesn't mean she doesn't know what a wedding and a sheva brachot is

I have no clue what you are talking about. Who is a convert? Are you mixing my post up with someone else's? I was commenting about the acceptability of showing up uninvited to a wedding (which an earlier poster said happened at her wedding) vs. a sheva brachos (which the OP asked about). Not sure where converts come into this.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 1:47 pm
OK, I just looked back at the thread because I was so confused and I see that the poster who had people crash her wedding was a convert. I did not notice that the first time I read, and I still can't figure out what in my post gives you the idea that I think that she or any other convert doesn't know what a wedding or sheva brachos are.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 2:02 pm
I'd say this was simply a social error. From the person who asked's perspective, possibly a small one, because they may have equated it with one if the two examples I give below.
But
in reality, it is a big error imo to turn up the sb in someone's home uninvited.

The only thing I would turn up to uninvited is a Kiddush. And I think maybe if you had a sheva brachot as seuda shlishit at Shul and people turned up univited you couldn't really complain about that, esp if it was somewhere who had mainly come to daven Mincha.

But in a private house...no. Not acceptable.

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
If I don't get to the wedding we find out where there's a sheva bruchos to give Mazel tov

Me, too. But I call the host first to ask if they mind if I drop by. And I insist that I don't want to stay for the meal. (I don't want them to think I am angling for an invite.)

Often, they tell me to come for dessert. That is something that I feel comfortable doing. IME, many people don't take dessert, so there would be extra for additional guests who drop in.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette