Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why does my baby cry in her sleep?

iamajew :)

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 1:15 am
So I'm not really the paranoid type but starting to get quite worried about anything and everything with my 2 month old baby. She cries in her sleep sometimes and wakes up crying as well. Trying to figure out why. Also she got herself so upset earlier that her eyes got dark red, she was shaking, and choking. Any advice on any of this would be wonderful.

myname1

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:00 am
The crying in her sleep thing I'm not sure about, but when she was awake, what did she get worked up about? Did she want to be picked up and you had to leave her a bit longer than usual? When my baby was that young, she also would get very hysterical when I couldn't pick her up right away sometimes. I just tried to pick her up as soon as I could, and comfort her from nearby otherwise. Didn't usually work too well, but I tried my best...

I also wanted to warn you that sometimes as they get bigger, mine have sometimes gotten out of breath to the point that they almost turn blue and then need to catch their breath. My nephew did it, too, and I read it's normal, but looks kind of scary. When you said "choking," it reminded me of that, and I thought I'd give you a heads up in case it happens in the relatively near future. Right after, they ususally just catch their breath and calm down and want to be held.

iamajew :)

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:25 am
Thank you! What happened was I left her in a safe place to go shower and get dressed real quick. She was happy when I left and was going crazy by the time I came back. It was so scary, I'm not really sure how to avoid it again. Also now I'm so scared to leave her even for a few minutes. Trying to figure out what's normal.

ceebee

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 11:53 am
When my kids were that little, I put them in a bouncer or stroller and parked them beside the shower. You might want to try that next time so she won't get to the point of hysterical crying.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:22 pm
My daughter used to cry in her sleep as a small baby. If I woke her up (on purpose or by accident), she would get completely hysterical. But, if I just waited it out, it usually stopped on its own within a few minutes. Babies do lots of things in their sleep - smile, laugh, sometimes even blink their eyes. In general, it's totally normal. Ask your doctor if your not sure (you can also take a video and show the dr, that's what mine recommended).

To make a long story short, my daughter outgrew the crying in her sleep and she turned out just fine. She does still talk in her sleep though Smile

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:27 pm
Amother because this has come up in sleep-training threads and I have discussed this with many IRL:

Sleep isn't one constant state. As babies cycle through different levels of sleep, they may look and sound as though they are starting to cry. Totally normal, AFAIK.

The previous suggestion to make a video for the doctor is an excellent one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics