Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
18 months and biting

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 10:09 am
my dds morah told me the she has been biting other kids for no reason. we just started in a new place and I have never had this issue before. her previous morahs and babysitters loooved her and only had good things to say. she is a stubborn kid so its not that I dont believe them I just dont know what to do. I cant discipline at home because she doesnt bite there and she is too young to understand if I try to have a talk with her. is this the morahs problem to deal with? what are things that can be done? she mentioned to me that in previous years they put pepper in the childs mouth but I am extremely uncomfortable with that. I told her to try timeouts- is there anything else?
tia!

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 11:23 am
If the morah thinks putting pepper in a toddler's mouth is an acceptable form of discipline, I think you should move to another childcare arrangement.

It's completely normal for an 18-month old to occasionally bite. My daycare just separated the two kids and gave a brief talking to when my oldest did it and it stopped eventually. If the only place your daughter bites other children is in this play group, I think that's another red flag.

chayamiriam

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 1:54 pm
That teacher should not be a teacher if she thinks that pepper is an appropriate punishment for an 18 month old baby! Take her right out of that play group don't wait for an incident to happen!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:30 pm
Pepper?! In 2016?
She should take the bitten (or even better, about-to-be-bitten) child away and coddle them, while completely ignoring the biter. It really works--my twins were biting each other right and left at that age and that was the only thing that helped. It takes full presence, self-control, and patience, all traits expected of a daycare provider.
If he's teething or seeking, try this toy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch

I think aside from this issue, you need to tell her specifically that you don't allow any physical form of punishment on your child, ever. Sheesh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics