Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Effects of Ruchie Freier's Civil Court Judge big win
Previous  1  2  3  4

Will Ruchie Freier's win for Civil Court Judge start a new trend among Heimish women?
Yes, going forward more Heimish women will go for Medical and Law degrees, etc  
 29%  [ 32 ]
No, numbers of highly educated Heimish women will stay the same.  
 70%  [ 77 ]
Total Votes : 109

tigerwife

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:16 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
I am happy that she won. I think that she can break the stupid barriers for frum women that Boro Park has built.
Like she did with Ezras Nashim Hatzalah organization.

What barriers are you referring to?
I grew up in BP, as did a few of my friends. Many are professionals. Even if it isn't typical, it's certainly not frowned upon. No one felt like they were doing something 'different' or 'breaking away from the mold'. In my circles, there's no pressure to get a degree or refrain from getting a degree. You can do what you want. Is it better to be forced to sit through college until you get engaged? (I know several people with this pressure). Honestly, I haven't moved away from BP that long ago but when I read descriptions here about it it sometimes sounds like a very different place than what I've experienced.

In reference to the OP, I think the trend in general is that more chassidish women and girls are going for higher education. You have plenty in programs like TTI but I've had several Williamsburg girls in my classes at Touro, too. Mrs. Fried is pretty successful but I don't see it as a 'win for chassidish women' or her being a general role model. She's just a woman whose professional career is a bit more public than others'.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:
Actually Mordechai Avigdor is extremely qualified. He was the top lawyer for Agudah for years and has a lot of experience in the courts. If I was still living in NYC I would have voted for him.

Was he running all along or did he join the race at the very end?

He only hung up posters in the last couple of weeks.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:13 pm
tigerwife wrote:
What barriers are you referring to?
I grew up in BP, as did a few of my friends. Many are professionals. Even if it isn't typical, it's certainly not frowned upon. No one felt like they were doing something 'different' or 'breaking away from the mold'. In my circles, there's no pressure to get a degree or refrain from getting a degree. You can do what you want. Is it better to be forced to sit through college until you get engaged? (I know several people with this pressure). Honestly, I haven't moved away from BP that long ago but when I read descriptions here about it it sometimes sounds like a very different place than what I've experienced.

In reference to the OP, I think the trend in general is that more chassidish women and girls are going for higher education. You have plenty in programs like TTI but I've had several Williamsburg girls in my classes at Touro, too. Mrs. Fried is pretty successful but I don't see it as a 'win for chassidish women' or her being a general role model. She's just a woman whose professional career is a bit more public than others'.

Boro Park has shifted a lot.
I'm relatively young and very often I feel like I don't recognize the Boro Park that I grew up in.
Possibly, it's just my impression- but Boro Park has become very chassidish. Many of the "old BP" moved to Lakewood and many Williamsburg people moved to Boro Park.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Boro Park has shifted a lot.
I'm relatively young and very often I feel like I don't recognize the Boro Park that I grew up in.
Possibly, it's just my impression- but Boro Park has become very chassidish. Many of the "old BP" moved to Lakewood and many Williamsburg people moved to Boro Park.

This. It's practically a second Williamsburg by now.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:27 pm
Maya wrote:
This. It's practically a second Williamsburg by now.
Not quite... Wink

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:12 pm
pause wrote:
Not quite... Wink

It's basically what Williamsburg was 10-15 years ago. My father has a store in Williamsburg so I was there pretty often.
I walk on the street in Boro Park and literally feel out of place.(I am a BY graduate that grew up in a heimish/ chassidish household.) The majority of the women in my area cover their sheitels.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:25 pm
Boro park is definitely becoming way more chassidish. But location matters, I live on 18th and high 50's.... Not as many hats here!

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
Boro park is definitely becoming way more chassidish. But location matters, I live on 18th and high 50's.... Not as many hats here!

You must be among Mrs. Tuna Beigels if they dont cover their Sheitels.

Just kidding.

m in Israel

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 1:42 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm confused by headlines saying she was elected, such as First Hasidic Woman Elected As Brooklyn Civil Court Judge.

What she was won the Democratic primary according to this. Or does the lack of a Republican primary in the same district mean she will run unopposed (at least by the other major party) so she will almost certainly be elected in November?

Yes. In areas that are primarily of one party (such as NYC being extremely heavily Democrat) many local elections are in essence determined in the primary. When we lived in NY we were registered Democrats only because of this -- we wanted a say in local elections and therefore needed to be able to vote in the Democratic primaries.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics