Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bais Yaakov of Lower East Side
Previous  1  2

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 9:14 am
All my nieces go there and from what I've noticed, everyone there is really sweet and warm. Just like the community is.

As far as high school they seem to go to schools in Brooklyn that fit them and their family best. Anywhere from BY of BP to Prospect.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:22 pm
I'm considering sending my daughter here next year. Does anyone have current information about this school? Tia.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:37 pm
Seems pretty much the same as when this thread was originally live. It seems to have some really nice programs going on. My dd is in kindergarten there which so far seems pretty typical but we get the newsletters from the whole school and they look pretty impressive for a bais yaakov.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:55 pm
Cannot say enough good things about this school. Was both a student there and worked there, and how I wish it was a boys school so I could send my son there.

Teachers are excellent. Rebbitzin Kahn is very selective about her staff and gets the cream of the crop. Most teachers are very young and fresh out of seminary but they are all very smart and super enthusiastic, and it really shines through in their teaching.

They have all sorts of programs, projects, and activities in both limudei kodesh and chol which keeps the girls very motivated and busy.

The student body is NOT your typical Bais Yaakov, it's very mixed, but that's in a way what makes it so great. Girls are all from solid, frum homes but not necessarily yeshivish, some more M.O.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 9:59 pm
Thanks for the replies. I live in brooklyn and love what I am hearing about this school, but am hesitating due to the distance from my house. My daughter will be four yrs old for the next school year and I just don't know Sad

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 10:08 pm
My DD has a number of Brooklyn kids in her class and from what I understand it doesn't necessarily take them much longer to get home than it would getting from one end of Brooklyn to the other. I know kids in BYBP who live not even that far away spend over a half hour on the bus just because that's the way busing is. So I'm not 100% sure what the commute would be like for you but talk to other parents before writing it off, it may not be as far as it sounds.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:52 pm
Anyone know the first name of Rebbetzin Kahn and her husband?

Thanks!

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:15 pm
Rebbetzin Rochel Kahn and the husband is... I forget, maybe Aharon? The one who has a shul on Avenue J near Touro.

They had a concert this week, I haven't been to any real school shows in years (I mean, besides my own preschoolers chanukah plays and such) but I had relatives in this one so I went. It was very impressive. There was the regular school choir type stuff but also some things that really let girls showcase their talents - they had a gymnastics group, two violinists, a flutist, and a ballet solo.... I don't even want to think about how much time those kiddos must have had to spend practicing but it was really something.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:22 pm
Thanks

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 12:26 am
How are they with Hebrew? DD is very bright but struggles with Hebrew and would do well learning Judaic studies in English with some Hebrew sprinkled in.

b from nj

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 9:11 am
My DD went there until 5th grade when we moved to NJ. I wouldn't call the school amazing & I also felt looked down upon as a parent for not being Yeshivish. I was glad when we moved out of the LES & I was able to send my DD to a better school that was more in line with my Hashkafa.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children