Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Gut reaction to candidates
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Miri7

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 2:31 pm
So the original post was about reactions to the candidates. Here's mine:

Clinton seems like a tough, smart lady. She's smart as heck, deliberate and measured. She doesn't take any s**t, and typically won't stumble into a trap because of an emotional reaction. She seems reserved, not an outgoing type who schmoozed at parties easily. Probably best in small groups. I would love to have her at my dinner table and think she'd be a great example and inspiration to my kids.

Trump. Where do I start? I honestly can't think of any public figure off the top of my head who demostrates worse middot. He doesn't respect basic norms of common decency. He repeatedly appeals to the basest urges in people for his own gain - racism, misogyny, xenophobia. He has made a business out of defrauding others, making sure he gets paid first and leaves others holding the bag. Repeatedly lies, lies and lies with no apparent regard for the truth. He seems reckless, to hold himself in very high regard and to have little respect for others. There is no way I would have him at my table and expose my kids to this sort of person.

His maternity plan is just an effort to appeal to women voters. I find it laughable given his company's record on leave and the fact that he's running against one of he people who has battled for years to protect women and children. He seems to have been always out for himself, while Clinton has gotten real results in her effort to raise up others (CHIP and her foundation's work on AIDS treatment just to name two key accomplishments).

CVS our country faced a real military crisis, I would want her in the room calling the shots and speaking to foreign leaders. I think she would be calm, calculating and tough. Trump has not demonstrated that he has the self discipline necessary to be the leader of the free world.

Yes, I'm a democrat, but I do have respect for a number of republican leaders. While I disagreed with Romney, the Bushes and others on policy issues, I did have respect for them as people and would gladly have hosted them at my table and introduced them to my children.

On the family leave issue, I agree with the poster who said that it's in the interest of our country to provide it to all parents. Parents stay in the workforce and keep their jobs. It gets our babies (our nations future) off to a good start and promotes financial stability in households, which is good for the family, the baby, employers and taxpayers.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 2:59 pm
Fox wrote:
So why are we even discussing it?

And why call it "family leave"? Why not call it "personal leave" and get out of people's business?

In general, women are not routinely discriminated against when all other things are equal.

However, many women have significantly different goals for their work lives than men, and as a result, they take different types of jobs. That's not discrimination; that's choice.

Hiring women is often distinctly advantageous for small business owners. Women are more likely to want part-time work, for example. They may be happy to trade a higher salary or opportunity for advancement for the ability to take off when their kids are out of school, etc.

Again, that's not discrimination. That's choice.

The notion that women are routinely treated worse than men in the workplace is simply not true, and we do no favors to anyone by pretending it is.

They are not treated worse, but I have personally witnessed hesitation in business owners before hiring married women of childbearing age.

gold21

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 3:24 pm
youngishbear wrote:
They are not treated worse, but I have personally witnessed hesitation in business owners before hiring married women of childbearing age.

I've seen this, but only when the woman in question is assumed to be someone planning to have many babies in quick succession. From a business perspective, would you not do the same?

Imagine you have a very important event coming up. Your event planner begins maternity leave a week before the event.

Common sense dictates hesitation when hiring women of childbearing age who plan to have large families. I would hesitate as well.

Have you see this sort of hesitation when the woman in question is planning to have a smaller family? I have not.

It boils down to common sense, not discrimination.

As for the pay gap between men and women, childbearing aside.... I feel that is more concerning.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics