Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
School lunch woes again :(
Previous  1  2

anonymrs

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:48 pm
What's up with the schools that don't allow fleishig? I just don't understand the reason for the rule? Your daughter is certainly not the first allergic child in the school. Or is she?

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:54 pm
She's not the only allergic child in the school but she might have the only health-conscious mother. I don't personally know of any other GF kids though my feeling is they probably exist... and that's really the hardest thing to avoid. Because EVERY school lunch is full of bread and pasta, usually with cheese.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:57 pm
Yeah, we are the same; allergic, GF, and health-conscious. My daughter's almost daily lunch is rice cakes with turkey and a fruit.

rowo

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:17 pm
I didn't read the whole article but this is what rice paper wrap are

http://www.theperfectpantry.co......html

You can do lots of things with them

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:38 pm
How about mini kugels.
You can get an egg in each.
Also, you may be able to hide quinoa inside.

There are cakes that have garbanzo beans in them.h
Here's one for chocolate cake
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/1.....free/

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:54 pm
I really feel for you. I have one kid who is now off gluten, dairy and eggs and another who is so finicky she just doesn't like anything at all it seems. :::sigh:::

Lunch is the toughest meal of the days with all the restrictions and the need to be portable and not heated, etc. I have come to the decision that so long as I can ensure my kids get a great breakfast and a great dinner I don't really care if their lunches are not such balanced and perfectly healthy meals. Nutrition is cumulative. Nothing will happen if they don't get a whole lot of vitamins or protein specifically at lunch. The main thing is they should have something they enjoy enough to want to eat so their tummies are not empty and they can focus at school. That's it. I now focus my energy on the other two meals.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 12:31 am
Raisin wrote:
is it so bad to give them carbs during the day at school and protein at night for supper? Some people believe in eating like that.

I agree.

Most proteins only taste good when they are fresh and warm.

Why not save that for breakfast and dinner, when she is home, and let lunch be a simple sandwich. There is nothing wrong with having a sandwich daily.

When I went to school that was what everyone ate for lunch every day. In high school a few girls got creative with salads or soup in a thermos. But the majority of us ate sandwiches every day for 12 years, and no harm was done.

eli7

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 4:49 am
How about something like this (from the Jerusalem Post)? I haven't tried it, but I would think chickpea flour would have more nutritional value and protein than the potato/tapioca substitutes. It also seems like it would travel well and be okay at room temperature, which are my biggest challenges with non-sandwich school lunches.

FARINATA

8 servings

A rich-tasting Italian chickpea bread, farinata is a cousin of the Italian socca bread, which is also made with chickpea flour but is thin and crispy. To crisp up the top of this bread, you can slip it under the broiler for a few minutes after baking. Feel free to add chopped onion, garlic, other herbs, olives or blanched vegetables to the batter if desired.

✔ 2 cups chickpea flour
✔ 400 ml. water
✔ 61⁄2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
✔ Coarsely ground black pepper
✔ 3 sprigs rosemary, broken into pieces

Put the chickpea flour in a bowl and whisk in the water slowly to dissolve lumps. The consistency should be one of a crepe batter. Cover and set aside for two hours (can also keep it overnight) at room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 220º. Add salt to the batter. Pour the olive oil into a heavy baking pan or cast-iron frying pan and swish it around so it covers the bottom and sides. Place in the oven and heat, making sure the oil does not burn.

Carefully pour the batter into the hot pan and mix with a fork so that most of the olive oil that has risen to the top is incorporated in the batter. Sprinkle the rosemary and a generous amount of pepper on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top and the bread leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly and cut into pieces. Serve warm (I also like it cold!).

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 8:31 am
How about homemade bread made with chickpea flour.
If you buy a coffee grinder then you can make make your own Super cheap.
I have a vitamix and it can make big batches
Bread, buns, rolls.
And your getting a serving of protein from the chickpeas.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 9:14 am
I wonder if you and dd have a candida issue, that's causing those cravings. Ask the dr to test for it, it's a simple blood or stool test.
I found a recipe online for quinoa falafel balls that are easy and delicious- all my kids love it.
Another poster suggested regular falafel which is a good idea, just be careful not to fryou them in too much oil.
It's definitely worthwhile to talk to the school about fleishig meals once a week.
Good luck op!

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 10:50 am
Quote:
Lunch is the toughest meal of the days with all the restrictions and the need to be portable and not heated, etc. I have come to the decision that so long as I can ensure my kids get a great breakfast and a great dinner I don't really care if their lunches are not such balanced and perfectly healthy meals. Nutrition is cumulative. Nothing will happen if they don't get a whole lot of vitamins or protein specifically at lunch. The main thing is they should have something they enjoy enough to want to eat so their tummies are not empty and they can focus at school. That's it. I now focus my energy on the other two meals.

Like!!! I was going to say the same thing.

Can you give her french toast for lunch?

I wasn't a big sandwhich fan during my school years, I brought Rice Pilaf or couscous for lunch.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 11:56 am
I would seriously put my foot down about meat meals. I would do whatever was necessary to make the school feel comfortable with dd eating meat meals at school, even if that would mean providing a card table for dd to eat her lunch separately or whatever.

And as a mom of an allergic child for 7 years, it took me almost as long to get to this position, but I mirror with other posters said above, and now too concentrate on other meals and let things slide during the day. It was quite hard to get there, especially when you have an underweight, under height child, but I found it necessary and ironically it creates a more healthy food relationship.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 4:40 pm
We also have a lot of dietary restrictions. Different from yours though. Its only the beginning of the year but I'll send a salad with chickpeas and avocado with pasta on the side, or megadara (rice and lentils), or chickpeas cooked with rice and carrots, or homemade bread with chummus, or pancakes with a little syrup and fruits on the side. It's really hard though Sad
Soon I'll start sending soups with homemade croutons or rice or bread.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen