Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Where can I buy this toy?

mom2six

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 12:28 am
Anyone know where I can find this toy? My autistic son really likes it, but I'm not seeing it online. It's by Child Guidance and plays music when you turn the gears.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 2:37 am
Would a slightly different toy with the same idea work?
http://www.toysrus.com/product.....:TRUS

mom2six

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 3:13 am
That looks perfect. Thanks, seeker!

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 12:25 pm
Yay, hope it works! The original looks like such a great toy. They don't make em like they used to Sad

cm

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 12:33 pm
If you still need the original - one sold recently on eBay. You could set up a listing alert in case another one becomes available.

mom2six

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 4:49 pm
cm wrote:
If you still need the original - one sold recently on eBay. You could set up a listing alert in case another one becomes available.

Thanks! Great idea!

mirror

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 4:55 pm
There are other toys that play music. On ebay, you can type "Music box" under "toys and hobbies" category and see what you get. Then further refine your search to "preschool"

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:09 pm
mirror wrote:
There are other toys that play music. On ebay, you can type "Music box" under "toys and hobbies" category and see what you get. Then further refine your search to "preschool"

I think it was more the interlocking gears part along with the music that OP was looking for.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 8:26 pm
I have such a type of toy from amazing savings.

mom2six

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 1:31 am
It's the whole spinning around the gears to the music thing that he likes. We actually have the toy I posted a picture of, but it came defective and doesn't play music like it's supposed to, and my autistic son has changed the batteries at least 20 times in hope to get it to miraculously start playing. Sad

The one seeker posted looks great, but DH said it's above our budget for now. I'll keep my eye on it though for when things improve, and I'll also keep checking eBay to see if I can find that or something very similar for cheaper.

Thanks to you all for your help.

kb

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 1:45 am
Would any of these work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....tails

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....Y8HVN

mom2six

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 2:01 am
kb wrote:
Would any of these work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....tails

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....Y8HVN

Thanks. I can't tell if the gears are fixed into place or interchangeable in those. He likes to take them off and rearrange them, which is possible in both the one I posted and in seeker's link. I don't see any mention of that in the links you posted, so I have no way of knowing.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 2:40 am
Squinting at the packaging it seems like the gears are movable on both. But the one that ships via amazon a reviewer says the music was hard for her developmentally delayed child to turn on.

mom2six

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 3:46 am
Thanks, seeker. I just looked again and it seems like both are interchangeable because somebody complained in the reviews that all the gears fall off when you pick it up. About the music being hard to turn on, it seems like that was written about a baby with special needs whose parents thought he would only have to press a button to turn it on. My child is a preschooler, not a baby, and is fully capable of turning the gears to play the music, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm going to show them to DH and see if he thinks we should get this - probably the bigger one since it's more similar to the one we have now.

Thanks again.

mom2six

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 3:59 am
I just ordered the top one from Amazon for $7.74 plus $5.24 shipping. Thanks a lot!

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 4:57 am
Hope you enjoy it!

Just a word of caution -- kids with ASD can have meltdowns after too long and intently watching and listening.

Try to limit the time it is used, and watch for overuse.

Tip -- a toy like this can be really useful as an incentive to sit on the potty, especially if it is only allowed during that time.

mom2six

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:53 am
Thanks, imasinger. Boruch Hashem, he doesn't usually have meltdowns from doing something for too long, which is a good thing since he tends to be obsessive about things and when he decides he likes something, he can stick with it for weeks or months with brief pauses only for eating and sleeping. So I can't see limiting this toy being an easy feat if he decides he likes it. He's also fully toilet trained B"H and needs no incentives to go to the bathroom.

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:09 am
That's wonderful! In that case, may he -- and you -- enjoy every minute.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:26 am
I didnt see the amazon links but we have the playschool gears toy and it's removable and plays music.
My own autistic son loves musical toys and we have every musical light up toy under the sun. We've tried every one of them...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics