Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
MO communities that are a decent commute from Manhattan
Previous  1  2

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
Our family is seriously considering a relocation to NYC, and we're trying to figure out where to live. DH and I will be working in Manhattan, and we're looking for an MO community in a decent commuting distance. Since we're both working we don't want to get too far, otherwise we'll both be on the road all the time and never see our kids.

Commute can be by car, subway, bus, hot air balloon... We're willing commute at off hours to save time (like having one parent leave at 6 AM and be back for pickup, and the other doing drop off and working late).

So what are our options? All we really know of is Teaneck, and living in the city, which is expensive and a bit cramped. I don't know anything about MO communities in other boroughs. It looks like there are a lot of towns in NJ that are close but I don't know if they have a community. Specifically we want an Eruv and a Jewish preschool of some sort.

Thanks in advance!

Teaneck is probably the easiest. Depending on which part of town you are in, you can walk to the bus which makes life much easier. I can give you a lot of teaneck information if you want.

I take a 5:35 or 5:50 bus in and then leave on the 4:05. It saves a ton of time with traffic. My husband does the morning shift and I do the afternoon.

AFAIK, all the other communities in NJ you have to drive to train stations or park and rides. That adds time to your commute and then you need to pay extra for parking usually and dig out your car from snow. Being able to walk to the bus is HUGE.

New Brunswick is great but the commute from down there is definitely a lot longer.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:06 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Teaneck is probably the easiest. Depending on which part of town you are in, you can walk to the bus which makes life much easier. I can give you a lot of teaneck information if you want.

I take a 5:35 or 5:50 bus in and then leave on the 4:05. It saves a ton of time with traffic. My husband does the morning shift and I do the afternoon.

AFAIK, all the other communities in NJ you have to drive to train stations or park and rides. That adds time to your commute and then you need to pay extra for parking usually and dig out your car from snow. Being able to walk to the bus is HUGE.

New Brunswick is great but the commute from down there is definitely a lot longer.

To clarify: New Brunswick has a student community near the College Ave campus of Rutgers. "Grownup" MO communities are nearby in Highland Park/Edison and East Brunswick. All are commutable to NYC, but farther than you would like.

If you are looking at Teaneck, also consider Englewood, Bergenfield and Tenafly.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:59 am
Yes amother, I meant East Brunswick. Thanks for clarifying.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries