Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Mold on fruit and vegetables

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:04 am
I find that often there will be a tiny bit of mold on the hard circle part of the outside of the vegetable where it grows from- if it's a soft fruit or vegetable- think cucumber, tomato, kiwi... do I have to throw the whole thing out- it happens pretty often Sad

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:05 am
I just cut the bad part, plus a little, off.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:09 am
It's that time of year. High humidity and high mold levels in the air. EVERYTHING goes bad faster, even if it's kept in the fridge.

Buy smaller quantities, and eat it faster. In another month or so, you can go back to shopping as usual.

If you have any mold or mushroom allergies, or a weak immune system, you really should throw the whole thing out. Most people can tolerate a little mold, but for some of us, it can make us really ill. I am super, super sensitive to it. Sad

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:37 am
I asked a food scientist, who told me that you can't tell how far the mold has spread inside the produce, it may look ok but contain mold that is still invisible, and that all such produce should be discarded. That said, I personally will cut off a generous margin beyond the visible mold and use the rest, assuming the rest looks good and isn't showing other signs of deterioration like sogginess, mushiness or discoloration. But I do this because my bal tashchis gene is stronger than my better judgment gene and wouldn't advise anyone else to do this.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 4:56 pm
I'd cut it off & use the rest
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen