Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Sweden

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:10 pm
DD has an internet pal in Sweden, and they are dying to meet up. They've known each other for over 2 years, and I've spoken with the girl's mother, so it's totally legit.

The town is near-ish Malmo. Are there kosher grocery stores or delis there? It will just be me and DD, so we won't need a minyan or anything like that.

Thanks!

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:20 pm
I would love to go to Sweden, unfortunately, there's a lot of anti Semitism there, especially in Malmo.

cm

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:26 pm
I'm not a world traveler, so I couldn't tell you how the situation in Malmö compares with other places, but it is pretty bad:

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/.....01276

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 10:30 am
That article was very disturbing.
Why don't you meet someplace between Sweden and the USA- maybe Jerusalem?
:-)

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 10:47 am
OP is in Israel, not the US. That said, perhaps there are safer places in Europe where you could meet up?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 12:37 pm
This girl lives in a small town outside of Malmo, not in the city. The girl really wants DD to see where she lives, what her town is like, etc. and give her a "real Swedish experience."

DD and I are extremely aware of the political situation over there, and we have talked about where to go and not go, and how we will protect ourselves (for example, I'll wear my sheitel instead of my colorful scarves, so I'll blend in more.)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 1:10 pm
http://www.chabadmalmo.com

They are really special people, and I'm sure they'll be glad to help with information and food!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 3:19 pm
If anything a scarf will look Muslim!
Malmo is... special :'(
Be in touch with the local kehila and what they say

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 5:10 pm
Malmo is very close to Copenhagen - a bridge connects the two cities. I once flew to copenhagen and flew into malmo. There is chabad in Malmo, so contact them for info re food. Copenhagen has a chabad house, and there is a (small) grocery store. (Copenhagen is also a fun place to visit as a tourist) I'm sure there are items you can pick in regular stores that are kosher - I remember eating a ryvita type cracker there in the copenhagen chabad house.

Talk to the chabad rebbetzin in malmo about safety, I'm sure as a woman you will be much safer then her bearded black hatted husband.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
Malmo is very close to Copenhagen - a bridge connects the two cities. I once flew to copenhagen and flew into malmo. There is chabad in Malmo, so contact them for info re food. Copenhagen has a chabad house, and there is a (small) grocery store. (Copenhagen is also a fun place to visit as a tourist) I'm sure there are items you can pick in regular stores that are kosher - I remember eating a ryvita type cracker there in the copenhagen chabad house.

Talk to the chabad rebbetzin in malmo about safety, I'm sure as a woman you will be much safer then her bearded black hatted husband.

Good point about checking with Chabad. I'll probably end up bringing a frying pan, and buying a whole fish and lots of fruits and vegetables.

I adored Copenhagen when I visited. I almost moved there at one point! The people there were so lovely (although that was 21 years ago. I hear a lot of Muslims are taking over there, too.)

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 6:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Good point about checking with Chabad. I'll probably end up bringing a frying pan, and buying a whole fish and lots of fruits and vegetables.

I adored Copenhagen when I visited. I almost moved there at one point! The people there were so lovely (although that was 21 years ago. I hear a lot of Muslims are taking over there, too.)

things like plain pasta and rice are probably ok too. also kelloggs cereals may have a hechsher.

Enjoy! I loved Copenhagen. If you like fish you will enjoy scandanavia. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics