Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help networking

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 9:32 am
I am trying to network to find a job. I have 3 names of people to reach out to. One guy I went to high school with and we were fairly close at the time, we're friends on Facebook and occasionally bump into each other, but not close anymore and we graduated over 10 years ago. The other 2 are friends of friends, but our mutual friends have advised I reach out to them. How would I word the emails? Also in general, I hate networking. I know I need to do it, but it feels so fake and desperate. How do I do this in a polished way that might actually be effective? Thanks.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 12:43 pm
Can anyone give me ideas here?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 12:48 pm
Just say
"I got your contact from ____ she suggestted I reach out to you as I am currently looking for a job.
I have a degree from ____ in _____ and ____ years experience in _____
I have attached my resume, if you can assist me in any way it would be greatly appreciated".

Goldie613

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 2:27 pm
A piece of advice I received not too long ago suggested that instead of asking if people knew of specific job openings, ask them if they have any contacts who might know of a job, or if they know of anyone who knows of good places to work. This way, even if they don't know of a position themselves, they might still be able to help you out.

Also:

Tell EVERYONE you know that you are job hunting and ask them to spread the word. Think of it like dealing with shidduchim - the more people who know you are looking, the more suggestions you are likely to get.

Have you set up an account on Linked-In? I haven't used it myself, so I can't offer you too much in the way of personal advice, but apparently it's a good way to make professional contacts or make connections to get a job.

https://www.linkedin.com/stati....._what

Good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics