Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question about two Lakewood boys schools

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:00 pm
I already know "good luck getting in there", etc etc etc.

My questions are as follows:
We are trying to find a school for my son who was in Yesodos (formerly oros yisroel) and most of his teachers and therapists feel he is ready for a mainstream school. After doing all our research and pulling all our connections, we narrowed it down to two schools.

1) If you were offered a slot in both Bais HaTorah and Ohr Yehuda (Rabbi Bender) for your brilliant but behaviorally challenging second-grader, which school would be more likely to work with you and your son, make him love Yiddishkeit, and make him feel cared about?
Answer only if you know enough about both schools to give and educated answer.

2) We are fortunate that both schools are agreeing to give us an interview in the next couple of days... any tips for the interviews?

3) What do boys this age wear for an interview? White shirt? Or any collared shirt?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
I already know "good luck getting in there", etc etc etc.

My questions are as follows:
We are trying to find a school for my son who was in Yesodos (formerly oros yisroel) and most of his teachers and therapists feel he is ready for a mainstream school. After doing all our research and pulling all our connections, we narrowed it down to two schools.

1) If you were offered a slot in both Bais HaTorah and Ohr Yehuda (Rabbi Bender) for your brilliant but behaviorally challenging second-grader, which school would be more likely to work with you and your son, make him love Yiddishkeit, and make him feel cared about?
Answer only if you know enough about both schools to give and educated answer.

2) We are fortunate that both schools are agreeing to give us an interview in the next couple of days... any tips for the interviews?

I am a behavior therapist working in many schools in Lakewood and I speak to many parents of children struggle with behavioral concerns. I would try to get into a school that has more resources to help your child than either of these schools. Often bigger and more established schools are better equipped to deal with such things. Orchos Chaim is phenomenal and does sometimes accept children with challenging behavior. Yeshiva Ketana is excellent with such issues, but I don't know how old your child is and if they are open to taking a child who is not going into primary. The Cheder is also fantastic with helping boys get as much support as they need in school.

Good luck!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
I am a behavior therapist working in many schools in Lakewood and I speak to many parents of children struggle with behavioral concerns. I would try to get into a school that has more resources to help your child than either of these schools. Often bigger and more established schools are better equipped to deal with such things. Orchos Chaim is phenomenal and does sometimes accept children with challenging behavior. Yeshiva Ketana is excellent with such issues, but I don't know how old your child is and if they are open to taking a child who is not going into primary. The Cheder is also fantastic with helping boys get as much support as they need in school.

Good luck!

Thank you for replying.
My son is 7.5 and second grade. All the schools you recommended would not even speak with us, besides for telling us that their resources are only for their existing students who need them, they are not willing to take in new kids for this. We have zero influence, pull, or connections in those schools.
Bais HaTorah and Ohr Yehudah are both well established schools, and Bais HaTorah is certainly not a new school.
As an aside, we are being serviced by Brainbuilders, and they have been wonderful. I assume they would help us provide the necessarily support for my son.
So, back to my original question...

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:55 pm
I dont know both yeshivas. I have a son in Bais Hatorah who is behaviorally challenging. I dont find the Rebbeim are too great with this. but I guess see how the interview goes....
Hatzlocha!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:18 pm
I don't know enough about those yeshivos to have any input. Though Ohr Yehuda has a great name (isn't that Bender's school)?

But, a white shirt is not necessary for the interview. A colored shirt with a collar is fine.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:40 pm
I don't have personal experience with either school, but I think I would go with Bais Hatorah because since it is a R' Kanarek school, there is the chance that if they can't service you they can transfer you into either TA or SA if it is an absolute need for additional services.

A possible backup plan is a good thing.

debsey

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:48 pm
Ask BrainBuilders! Their teams work in both schools so they would know.
And a colored, collared shirt is fine.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:08 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies! Very Happy

12rivkyk34

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:24 pm
Agreed that colored shirt with collar should work just fine.
I think both schools have equal negative and positive. Bais hatorah has some great rebbeim, some not so much but do have resources as it is a bigger school and it's under rabbi kanarek which automatically makes it more established.
Bender is smaller so not as much available although they do have good catapult services working with rebbeim and may be less stuck on their ways and willing to work with brain builders.
Good luck regardless!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 8:20 pm
I'm bumping up this thread.
Anyone know if Benders is willing and able to work with children who have issues and need extra support? Also, does anyone know if they work well with the team from Brain Builders?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics