Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels

OMG!

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 6:41 pm

Last edited by OMG! on Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:23 am
I've done it to my older sheitals. Look online, or search here, you should find instructions.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:27 am
First question, does your sheitel have a silk top? If so, your dye will also dye the silk. In that case, only go to a professional.

If not, then you can easily dye it yourself. I have done it before, and I only use Clairol Natural Instincts. It is the most gentle on the hair, and gives beautiful conditioning results. It's perfect for toning down sun bleaching, or getting rid of highlights that are outdated or too brassy.

OMG!

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:56 am
Thank you. I'm not sure my Sheitel has a silk top. It's a simple human one. Not European

jflower

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:04 am
I have a shoulder length sheitel with a skin top that I just dyed myself. It came out beautiful. This is what I did: I bought 2 boxes of Revlon Colorsilk dye. I used a wig stand, the type that clips onto the table . I covered an old styrofoam head with a plastic bag. I also used a clear plastic tablecloth around the surrounding areas since the dye does tend to be a bit messy. I pinned the sheitel to the styrofoam head and then clipped up the top portion. I started from the bottom; using a paintbrush I carefully coated both sides of the hair with the dye. I kept on moving up, removing the clips as I went along.

When I got to the top I was very careful not to dye the silk top. Using a paintbrush makes this easy to do. After all the dye was on I waited a half hour, then rinsed the dye off. I then used a scented conditioner, left it on for a few minutes and then rinsed again.

The sheitel up ended up having some highlights at the top since it didn't dye the hair a uniform color. This might be because the hair on the top had less time to absorb the dye. Whatever the reason, the result is beautiful and I'm very pleased with the way it came out.

jflower

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:09 am
The last time I had it professionally dyed, I paid $75 and was not happy with the way it came out. The first quarter inch of the hair was left the old color with the dye starting further up. At the time I thought that I could have done a better job myself and since then have been dyeing my sheitels on my own. It's really not that hard to do.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:28 am
get a box of dye of your colour choice ... put wig on headstand & follow instrucionnes

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:17 am
Start at th top. It's more oxidized and in more need of color. If you run out at the bottom, it's okay since the color there is likely fine anyway.

jflower

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:42 am
/quote="Iymnok"]Start at th top. It's more oxidized and in more need of color. If you run out at the bottom, it's okay since the color there is likely fine anyway.[/quote]

You're right about starting at the top however I was afraid to do that because while clipping the top hair after dyeing in order to do the bottom, I was afraid that some dye would seep onto the silk top. I had more control over exactly what I was doing at the top when that was the last section I dyed.

The dye I used was a very dark brown and I really didn't want it all to end up one uniform color. Sometimes dark brown dye results in the hair looking black. The way I did it worked for me since the top is now shaded & seems to have highlights.

OP, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

smile12345

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:43 am
If it's an expensive sheitel I wouldn't risk doing anything without experience.

jflower

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 10:09 am
It's a good idea to start with an inexpensive sheitel. That's what I did and as I gained experience I felt confident dyeing a more expensive sheitel.

If I wanted rooting or highlights, I would go to a professional since I have no clue how to do that.

willymom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:37 pm
Word of warning from a colorist : box dyes usually come with 40 volume developer which is extremely harsh and will definitely damage the hair..I use usually the ten volume..if u could find proffesional products online that would help.ill be happy to recommend if ur interested

jflower

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:27 pm
willymom wrote:
Word of warning from a colorist : box dyes usually come with 40 volume developer which is extremely harsh and will definitely damage the hair..I use usually the ten volume..if u could find proffesional products online that would help.ill be happy to recommend if ur interested

Which brand do you recommend? Which site do you order from?
Thanks for any info.

willymom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:26 pm
Loreal pro or clairol pro..and buy the matching 10 volume developer to mix with it....amazon. u have to buy it separately but its pretty inexpensive. .and definitely get a coloring brush shouldn't be more than $2..section the wig and go in small sections and be careful not to miss any spots. If u give me more info about ur color I can advise u which color to get. But this technique won't give u any highlights etc..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels