Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did your parents help out AT ALL
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:53 pm
From the time I was little, it was made very clear to me that I will not get married until I could support myself.

That being said, I have generous parents and inlaws. They paid for the wedding. My parents paid for my undergrad (and I lived at home where they paid for everything except "extras" such as clothing or any shopping etc..though my mom would occasionally see something in the store and bring it home for me..)

Since marriage, my inlaws bought us a car as a marriage/graduation gift. Very generous. My parents bought us a bunch of random house items (towels, kitchen utensils and some random items). My inlaws pay for our phone bill and Ipass. They also give us random gifts (some examples include: a generous gift when we bought a house, randomly taking us out to eat, etc)

I think the biggest factor here is that we can and fully intended on paying for everything on our own. We still are almost completely independent but certainly get generous donations that we are very thankful for!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 10:05 pm
I agree that paying for the wedding is very standard in orthodox circles and I don't consider that support.

Most secular people I know took out loans to pay for college if their parents were not wealthy.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics