Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Organization helping with small business startup?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 11:00 pm
I have definitely read of such things existing but I never needed them before so now I'm not sure where to go.

I'm starting a business that I've really already been doing but never formally established as a business, and I really need to make it official as soon as possible for legal and financial reasons.

I need a lawyer, accountant, and maybe also general advice. I also could use a loan though it's not as urgent as just getting the documentation and financial setup in place.

Looking for somewhere that will help me access someone who has experience with small business, and does it either pro bono or at a subsidized or sliding fee.

I need a lawyer for making sure I set up the business type and filing properly, and writing a contract for clients and employees.

I need an accountant to tell me what I need to do for tax filing and what is the best way to set it up (corporate vs individual and similar concerns)

I'm located in New York.

kb

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 11:08 pm
Try pcs (Agudah)

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:05 pm
Bump.
I'll try them anyway but from what I've seen it seems that PCS is more about training and job placement rather than business startups.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:54 pm
I recently read something in the Mishpacha or Ami about a Jewish mentoring organization. I'll try to check it up for you. If I don't answer tomorrow, please remind me.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:57 pm
A mentor would be nice but that's not what I'm looking for most right now. I need specifically free or subsidized professional accounting and attorney consultation.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:33 pm
Got you. Maybe the Parnassah Network can help?

This other organization is called JTE - The Jewish Entrepreneur, but like I wrote, they do mentoring which is not what you're looking for.

You may want to contact both organizations. Even if they don't offer what you need, they may know where you can get that kind of help.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:05 pm
Good idea, thanks.

little_mage

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 9:50 am
Look for a Small Buisness Development Center (SBDC). Local to me, there are a couple of chapters attached to the local buisness schools. Different chapters probably have different things, but I know the local one that I did a bit with had various classes/seminars about how to set things up and get started, as well as resources. I think they even had a partnership with the law school to have trainee lawyers help you set stuff up legally, although there was a fairly long wait. These are secular organizations, but it sounds like that's what you need anyway. Your local library also might know of or even host a group or two.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 10:35 am
Already went to SBDC and they helped me clarify what I need the lawyer and accountant for but they don't provide or help access this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics