Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Chia Seed
Previous  1  2  3

Happy 2B

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 7:02 pm
Justlookup wrote:
LaughingBag, don't intent to be rude, but what's the basis for your saying that its really good for pregnancy? Bec. I read both online, some saying its good and some saying that there's not enough research and they're not sure of its effects etc. so I'm nervous to take it, although I would love to for its' benefits...

I read the same things and it is confusing and somewhat concerning. Maybe you should ask your OB?

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 11:26 pm
When I originally got it from an online health food site they said ots good for pregnancy. By now I'm saying it for 2 reasons 1. I was told that in israel it is often recommended for women in all stages. 2. From the fact that ik of ppl who took it in pregnancy and had a better pregnancy than they ever did when they haven't taken it yet.
One thing realized is that as long as you dont abuse it you will not lose anything by taking chia (besides for weight) you only gain lots from taking out. And if you dont believe me you gotta see my father lol he is on 1/3 of is meds by now and is in better shape and weight than he was in years. At this point he is taking it for about 1.5 years. Smile BH.

lachick

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 8:54 am
they have chia seeds in shefa in the health food store! ive started taking it a week ago, and feel like I have more energy!

In the kitchen

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 10:22 pm
I doubt there will ever be studies on chis seeds in pregnancy, why? Well studies cost a lot of money. Chia is a simple seed, similar to a sesame seed in that it is small, crunchy, doesn't have a strong taste and has vitamins and minerals in it.

Chia is high in Omega fats, which are very beneficial fats. Chia seed also has this unique property of gelling when added to liquid (that is how it helps you with weight loss because you feel fuller with less calories and this property helps regulate blood sugar etc.)

I have used it during pregnancy and nursing. It isn't like marijuana which has hallucinatory or euphoric properties - it is a simple seed.

Feel free to be cautious because it is something that you are unfamiliar with but since I am familiar with it the question of "Is it safe in pregnancy?" sounds as ridiculous as someone asking if sesame seeds are safe for pregnancy, and no, I am certain no study was ever done on the safety of the consumption of sesame seeds in pregnancy.

Also, you are not consuming even a bowl of the stuff a day, you should not take more than 2 tablespoons twice a day, why? Only because no additional benefit has been seen from taking more than that and it is a waste of your money.

When I take my chia I look at it like I am "eating salmon" (because of the Omega oils) which is so good for cellular function etc.

May we all have only good health!

Happy 2B

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 10:42 pm
In the kitchen wrote:
I doubt there will ever be studies on chis seeds in pregnancy, why? Well studies cost a lot of money. Chia is a simple seed, similar to a sesame seed in that it is small, crunchy, doesn't have a strong taste and has vitamins and minerals in it.

Chia is high in Omega fats, which are very beneficial fats. Chia seed also has this unique property of gelling when added to liquid (that is how it helps you with weight loss because you feel fuller with less calories and this property helps regulate blood sugar etc.)

I have used it during pregnancy and nursing. It isn't like marijuana which has hallucinatory or euphoric properties - it is a simple seed.

Feel free to be cautious because it is something that you are unfamiliar with but since I am familiar with it the question of "Is it safe in pregnancy?" sounds as ridiculous as someone asking if sesame seeds are safe for pregnancy, and no, I am certain no study was ever done on the safety of the consumption of sesame seeds in pregnancy.

Also, you are not consuming even a bowl of the stuff a day, you should not take more than 2 tablespoons twice a day, why? Only because no additional benefit has been seen from taking more than that and it is a waste of your money.

When I take my chia I look at it like I am "eating salmon" (because of the Omega oils) which is so good for cellular function etc.

May we all have only good health!

Thumbs Up I like your thinking!!

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:36 pm
Well said, In the Kitchen!
P.s iirc the recommended amount a day for an adult is 2T, or 1T twice a day.
Be well! Smile

naomi2

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:13 pm
another poster asked if they seeds need a hechsher and wasn't answered. im wondering if anyone found out the answer since then. also please post who allows it to be consumed without a hechsher (if it is so) and a source online. thanx!

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:16 pm
They do not need a hechsher.

They are not processed at all and they are not grown in Israel at this time.

I know that Rav Yechiel Shteinmetz (very respected Vizhnitz Monsey posek and mashgiach) gives a hechsher to the ones sold by my relative.

DH spoke with him (the Rav) about it and he said it doesn't need a hechsher but since there are many people today who are not confident in the intricate laws of kashrus he gives one for the label only. (Just like, for your information, sugar and salt do not require hechsheirim).

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:27 pm
IF they don't have anything added. salt usually has additives in it.

Mevater

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 10:34 am
Those who eat Chia seeds, do you still use it regularly because it makes you feel better?

proudma

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 10:45 am
Has omega-3 which is definitely something missing from my diet. Not sure about overall long term health. No harm!

Mevater

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 10:53 am
I just found these reviews. Sounds good!

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-.....poil]

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 11:01 am
I definitely do! I have gone through 2 pregnancies and nursing and have felt better than my first 2 pregnancies even with 2 little toddlers. I have more energy when I take it. If I ever don't take it I feel it within days.
I consider it my multi vitamin. I give it to my kids as well, I have a kid with lots of energy I see a difference when I give him chia and not. He gets calmer and more relaxed and more focused.
It's one thing I wouldn't stop taking so fast.

mammala120

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 11:46 am
[quote="Laughing Bag!"]I definitely do! I have gone through 2 pregnancies and nursing and have felt better than my first 2 pregnancies even with 2 little toddlers. I have more energy when I take it. If I ever don't take it I feel it within days.
I consider it my multi vitamin. I give it to my kids as well, I have a kid with lots of energy I see a difference when I give him chia and not. He gets calmer and more relaxed and more focused.
It's one thing I wouldn't stop taking so fast.[/quote
I totally agree. I have same experience and call it my vitamins.

Mevater

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 9:54 pm
Where do you get the best quality for the money?

This is the Amazon #1 Seller, and its "OU".

http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Lab.....YNGUS

Is this a good deal?

DallasIma

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:39 am
Here's what I got the other day from Natural Grocers. They probably also have it in Whole Foods but I haven't checked. Anyway, this is the Amazon listing for what I got, and it has a heart-K (Igud HaRabanim of Los Angeles).
https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Re.....b%27s

lili

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 3:27 am
just found this thread!
started eating chia seeds at the beginning of the week and I am already seeing the benefits. I have had constipation problems for months and it's much better now! and it's so cheap! amazing
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics