Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High school son learning NOTHING in school

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 7:04 am
We switched our son to a different school this year. The new school is more relaxed, they go on trips, finish the day a little earlier and is geared for weaker students. The problem is that while we have a new school, we still have the same problem. My son has a terrible case of A.D.D.. He's not hyper but he just sits there with his head in the clouds while spacing out all day. The ONLY thing he's learning is what my husband and I are reviewing (actually teaching) at home with him. Even then it's a tremendous struggle as things need to be repeated over and over and over again. He always responds that he lost focus and wasn't concentrating. I'm at my wits end. We've tried various medication with no results. We've also tried the basics like going to bed earlier and no electronics after 8:00. Any advice much appreciated.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 7:13 am
Medication?
Edit: oops sorry reread op.

Can he learn one on one with someone in Yeshiva?

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:47 am
You're still trying different medications, though, right? Don't stop until you find the right one. It will make all the difference. Hang in there.

Last edited by perquacky on Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

momwifedaughter

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:40 pm
I had very good experience with prism glasses. It helped him focus and concentrate. Wasnt as severe as u describe but maybe its worth a try. It could definitly help

animeme

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:50 pm
perquacky wrote:
You're still trying different medications, though, right? Don't stop until you find the right one. It will make all the difference. Hang in there.

I hope OP finds the right meds. But know that there are kids who don't respond well to any of them, and have to deal with it all behaviorally.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 6:15 pm
Sometimes the best thing to do is just work on the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. It's OK to drift a bit as long as it's in place where he feels whole and welcome and feels good about himself. Build up his confidence (out of school work) and he can accomplish great things when he is older.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics