Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Anything to do to get my baby walking??? At wits end
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:57 pm
My baby is 20 months and she doesn't dream yet of walking!! She doesn't even stand alone. If I lean her on a chair or something she will stand for less than a minute!!

All my kids walk VERY LATE. I was low muscle tone as a baby so there I go.... They are so low tone. They catch up beautifully BH. My boys are REAL BOYS. Running around everywhere.

I had therapy for some of my kids. I'm waiting to start for my baby. My last kid walked at almost 2 years!!!!!!!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:
He's almost 17 mos and crawls all over. Very heavy to carry and I want him to walk! All my kids walked by 16 mo. He does stand on his own and can make a few steps!! But other than that no. What can I do to encourage him??

Your wanting him to walk may be getting in his way. Clearly, he's able to get himself to standing and to walk a few steps. Free him up to walk of his own volition . If you can.

I totally understand your wanting him to walk...no blame here :-)

Sara89

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:59 pm
I always also strongly believed in waiting till child is walking for a while before shoes.thats what I did for my first child. It was so interesting to me that my ds #2's pt (working with him 2x weekly for low muscle tone) recommended shoes. So I started putting on shoes when he was not yet taking any steps. He actually learned how to walk in shoes and later had to really learn how and peactice walking without.

granolamom

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:18 pm
If the child has low tone, good shoes can help with supporting the feet so that he can bear weight more easily.
That might be why your child therapist suggested shoes

aussie2

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 1:35 am
I agree with the poster that said to shift your attention a bit. I had this with my child. She was 20 months and I was about to give birth and she felt the pressure I was feeling that she start walking already. (I actually went for an evaluation at that point. She was also confidently walking holding on to flimsy stroller for months already but would not let go. I was at my wits end and took her.. After watching her for a few minutes the therapist said- she is manipulating you. Your child sees how much you want her to walk. She suggested I don't focus on it too much and she'll do it on her own. Within 3 days she was walking everywhere on her own!!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:48 am
If it helps, early walking is not always what it's cracked up to be.

My brother started pulling up on things at 7 months, and was RUNNING at 9 months! shock

My poor mother kept saying "I thought I was going to have more time with the baby stage." She had to chase him everywhere, and at 9 months he really didn't understand "no" or "danger". You can't reason with a 9 month old the way you can with a 2yo.

My brother is not any smarter or more developed than any other kid in the world, and as an adult he is not a high achiever. In the long run, the age of walking does not indicate that your kid is any more advanced or special than anyone else (no matter what the mommy wars would have you believe.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics