Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Every job I have had has failed in some way or other :(

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 5:28 pm
I am not young anymore. When I went to college years and years ago I got a very general degree, in other words, good for nothing. I have had many jobs over the last 20 + years and either I have been let go (for financial reasons or they didnt want me any more for any number of reasons) or I had to leave for my own reasoning.
I just seem to have no luck when it comes to finding a job that can last more than 2 years (that was the longest I help one job)
Ive had enough. I want to work a 9 - 5 type job and not have to job hunt again. Its making me upset and also angry. I mean, why can anything ever work in this area of my life? Crying

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 7:30 pm
I have no advice to give you the only thing I can tell you is that I am in the same situation. I am a young woman and I have a college degree but no matter where I go to look for a job it does not end up working out for me.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 8:29 pm
VERY shortly after I completed my masters and started what I thought would be a career in a particular field, I got very sick and realized I'd have a chronic condition for quite some time which wouldn't allow me to work a 9-5. So I quit a contract which was terrible but I needed to do it for my health-- focused on my health and when I was ok to work again, decided to be self employed from then on. That was in 2001 and though a couple of times I've taken part time jobs for various reasons (to learn particular skills, to help a friend--- like right now I babysit a few hours a week because a friend needs me and I enjoy it), I've mostly stuck with self employment--- it gives me the most flexibility and feeling at the whim of other people is never a good feeling. This morning I made a couple hundred dollars, decided I needed a 3 hour nap afterwards, and that was it for the day. I (Almost) never work on Fridays so tomorrow is cooking and errands. As long as you have a particular monetary goal and stick to it, self employment is a great option for many.

what are your particular skills and interests?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 8:38 pm
Same story here, except I'm younger than you. Useless BA and MA, lost 3 jobs in 4 years and can't seem to find anything now. It's horrible.

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:49 pm
If not for some minor details, I could've written this post. I bounced around and around with a career that I thought I was meant for, but really I was working towards a different goal. Now that I'm in my destined career I realize how much my bouncing around helped prepare me for my current role.

While I was hunting and searching, I would often come across something completely out of my field such as "insurance salesman" and my husband reminded me--do you want to do that? Do you feel that you have the qualities for that position? If the answer is no, then its not for you. You have to ask yourself what are you good at, and what do you enjoy? What kind of atmosphere do you thrive in? When "dating" a job, you have to figure out if its a good fit. Ultimately jobs are not marriage and there's little security. It could be that HaShem wants something else from you.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:56 pm
I totally get you. I have a masters and I've had many jobs and have even had my own business. Nothing ever quite worked out for one reason or another. Even though I was really great at what I did. Now I don't work, and I'm as happy as can be.

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 7:09 am
There was a time when I was shifting a lot. A wise person told me, "if you learned something from this experience, then you were not a failure, and neither was the experience."

The days when companies rewarded employee loyalty are long gone. Don't see yourself as a failure; rather, as someone who has been able to be flexible under challenging circumstances.

Which is a marketable skill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics