Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Money saving tips

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:35 pm
We recently got kicked off medical insurance because we are making too much... Boruch Hashem even though it is really hard to pay for our own insurance. Any money saving tips as we now have a large monthly expense of insurance? We got the lowest possible from the market place, which is still a large amount. We are not eligible for any programs that I know of, and will be kicked of WIC shortly.

One tip someone gave me was getting orthotics/arches though insurance and then get shoes as well for free, which helped for my son's school shoes.

We try to buy sales, however we do not have space for costo amounts ( no pantry or garage or any extra space whatsoever). I give in my sheital to get washed the minimal amount and often give it to girls learning how to do sheitals in order to get a discounted price.

Any other ideas?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
We recently got kicked off medical insurance because we are making too much... Boruch Hashem even though it is really hard to pay for our own insurance. Any money saving tips as we now have a large monthly expense of insurance? We got the lowest possible from the market place, which is still a large amount. We are not eligible for any programs that I know of, and will be kicked of WIC shortly.

One tip someone gave me was getting orthotics/arches though insurance and then get shoes as well for free, which helped for my son's school shoes.

We try to buy sales, however we do not have space for costo amounts ( no pantry or garage or any extra space whatsoever). I give in my sheital to get washed the minimal amount and often give it to girls learning how to do sheitals in order to get a discounted price.

Any other ideas?

do u have a budget?

if u dont have a budget yet, definitely make one.

what are your major expenses?

keep all your reciepts so u can see what your expenses are and how much your spending..u can enter the data from the receipts into an excel sheet, and then cut down whatever u could.

can u get a stack of plastic shelving for costco items? u can keep it in the kitchen or in the bathroom or laundry room.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:32 pm
I read this tip on another post
2 or 3 times a week make dinner for the entire family for no more than $5.
Rice and beans
Eggs and pasta

Also, even though it's really tight, try to save.

zigi

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:14 am
grocery stores have good sales too. there are also creative places to keep extra things like toilet paper etc. I keep my things in the linen closet. and any other extra place

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 5:53 pm
Instead of getting tips here in measly dribs and drabs, go to your public library and take out some books on money management. While you're at it, save yourself some time by reserving the books online if your library system has that capability, and picking up the books when they're ready.

ceebee

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:41 pm
Learn how to coupon like those crazy coupon ladies. There are Internet forums dedicated to learning how to coupon like a pro.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 10:43 am
You can get much more budget conscious with grocery shopping and save a lot.
Are you familiar with the prices of most products you buy - or do just buy what you need.

Usually I'll find I can shop one Jewish store and one non Jewish store. I will only buy soda/diapers/detergent/cereal/ketchup/some fruits and vegetables in the non Jewish store - like Shoprite or Walmart.

Then I'll generally shop at only the cheapest kosher store. I'll buy chop meat or shnitzel only on sale.

Also, every can, every item you buy, compare the unit prices. Each company can be anymore from 10 cents to 50 cents cheaper. This really adds up and is easy to do.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:41 pm
Thanks for the tips! I recently ordered $70 from online of clothes (a lot of clothes.... but still...) I would love to pair up for hand me downs- anyone looking for a hand me down receiver? I have for my baby Boruch Hashem! My big boy is running out of hand me downs I received when he was little and saved. He is a 2T more towards 3T now.
Wanna make a hand me down shidduch?Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:19 pm
BTW sorry I didn't respond- for some reason I missed the notification email that people had responded! Looking into the tips now. Yes, we have a budget. Main expenses are rent and insurance. Then comes food, clothing (which I hope to make cost less by receiving hand me downs), gas and utilities, gym membership for my husband which is crucial for health. The yomim tovim times are crunch time with less work time in October as well as an increase of yomim tovim expenses. Boruch Hashem we are able to have food and pay rent without worrying! We are so grateful!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:47 am
zaq wrote:
Instead of getting tips here in measly dribs and drabs, go to your public library and take out some books on money management. While you're at it, save yourself some time by reserving the books online if your library system has that capability, and picking up the books when they're ready.

respectfully, the tips I got on this site in "measly dribs and drabs" were extremely helpful to me when I started budgeting. im so thankful to everyone who responded and helped me with tips for everyday

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
respectfully, the tips I got on this site in "measly dribs and drabs" were extremely helpful to me when I started budgeting. im so thankful to everyone who responded and helped me with tips for everyday

Do you remember what your thread was called? I would love to read through it and get some tips!

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
BTW sorry I didn't respond- for some reason I missed the notification email that people had responded! Looking into the tips now. Yes, we have a budget. Main expenses are rent and insurance. Then comes food, clothing (which I hope to make cost less by receiving hand me downs), gas and utilities, gym membership for my husband which is crucial for health. The yomim tovim times are crunch time with less work time in October as well as an increase of yomim tovim expenses. Boruch Hashem we are able to have food and pay rent without worrying! We are so grateful!

Haha not sure how I missed adding in tuition and babysitter expenses. .. bH for my children!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 3:39 am
http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
Do you remember what your thread was called? I would love to read through it and get some tips!

Alternatively, what were the tips that helped you most? I've never been off programs but spend an incessant amount which is preventing me from saving as much as I'd like. It's really embarassing but don't know where to start. We only buy what we need for the most part and thats far from a lot but our credit card bill is insane every month. So we need good tips too.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 10:50 am
amother wrote:

im actually not sure how to find thread I created as amother Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics