Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood schools: help me think positive

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:28 pm
No cynical, sarcastic, "I
-hate- Lakewood" -style responses please. They are completely unhelpful and I need to stay focused.
I am the OP of the thread asking about two Lakewood boys schools for my second grader who interviewed today.
Unfortunately we were not matzliach.
I'm feeling very discouraged and don't know where to go from here.
I appreciate when people throw out names of schools we should try, but anyone who knows anything about what it's like to get a kid into school in Lakewood - particularly a kid with a history of behavioral issues - would know that realistically it's pointless from us to just cold call (not that we haven't done it). Nothing will happen without lots of well-connected people making calls on our behalf, and even that's no guarantee.
I need chizuk that we will find the right place for my son, and they will welcome him and accept him for who he is.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:33 pm
I'm so sorry, I hope it all works out quickly for you. Is your rav able to help, did you approach the vaad? As hard as it must be, I think you should try to tell everyone you talk to about it, you never know who might know the right person to help you out.

Maybe try Rabbi Kanarek himself, he's known to be one of the few in town who really cares and takes kids into his schools even if it's not the best fit, at least they're in school.

I'm trying to think you else you could approach, I just don't know. I wish I could help you, I'm sorry.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 7:35 pm
glutenless wrote:

Maybe try Rabbi Kanarek himself, he's known to be one of the few in town who really cares and takes kids into his schools even if it's not the best fit, at least they're in school.

We might have to do that. I'm just afraid from my kid to be plunked in a merciless environment. He's very sensitive.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 8:02 pm
I'm sorry, I wish there was a better option for you.

What about Rabbi Stamler and Rabbi Lapa's yeshiva? Is your son too young?

12rivkyk34

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:23 pm
What about the new mechina that opened last year? I heard they work well with behavioral kids as it's a very indovidualized program.
Did you try Kol Torah which is smaller and less rigid? Heshy Schwartz is the owner.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 4:38 am
glutenless wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to try this.

Hugs, OP. If it's any comfort, you're not alone and my heart goes out to your son.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 8:22 am
I don't know if this will be helpful or news to you, but I know someone whose child with behavioral issues went to Yeshiva Bais HaTorah. Just throwing out a name of a place, don't know much more.....

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 12:00 pm
glutenless wrote:
I'm sorry, I wish there was a better option for you.

What about Rabbi Stamler and Rabbi Lapa's yeshiva? Is your son too young?

My son is 7.5 and should be in 2nd grade. I've never heard of Rabbi Stamler or Rabbi Laps or their yeshiva(s) - can you tell me more?

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 12:05 pm
12rivkyk34 wrote:
What about the new mechina that opened last year? I heard they work well with behavioral kids as it's a very indovidualized program.
Did you try Kol Torah which is smaller and less rigid? Heshy Schwartz is the owner.

Can you tell me more about this mechina program? Would this be relevant to my son who is second grade?
We applied to Kol Torah 3 years ago when we were applying to primary, but my son was not accepted. Does it pay to try again? Is it a place that would be good for a child like mine?

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 12:12 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't know if this will be helpful or news to you, but I know someone whose child with behavioral issues went to Yeshiva Bais HaTorah. Just throwing out a name of a place, don't know much more.....

Thanks. If you saw my other thread, we took my son to interview there yesterday. My son is brilliant but very behind educationally for two reasons:
1)He spent last year in Yesodos which was closed for the first two months of the year and the last 6 weeks of the year
2)Most of the children in his class last year had learning disabilities in additional to behavioral issues, so the learning was at a very slow pace.
Bais HaTorah follows the Zilberman method of learning which is very intense. It may be ideal for my son when he's older and caught up, but not now.
Both we, and the principal, were puzzled that so many people were recommending Bais HaTorah to us given my son's situation. I think they figured with such a high level of learning he wouldn't be bored and he would behave. Could be nobody realized he's not nearly on the level of his age group there because he's so behind.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 12:42 pm
Sending to too small of a school might be a mistake. Small schools don't have manpower or services.

You might want to reach out to Rabbi Chaim Cohen. He is a liason of sorts between schools, therapist and parents. He charges but maybe he can help convince a school that your son wll get the help he needs without being to large a burden on a schools infrastructure.

Isnt' there a school called Ohr Yisrael or something like that

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
My son is 7.5 and should be in 2nd grade. I've never heard of Rabbi Stamler or Rabbi Laps or their yeshiva(s) - can you tell me more?

Rabbi Moshe Stamler and Rabbi Eli Lapa(I think) have a yeshiva for boys with behavioral issues. I don't know Rabbi Lapa at all, and I don't know Rabbi Stamler well, but Rabbi Stamler seems like he would be great with such kids, he told me that he started this yeshiva because it was exactly what he needed when he was a kid and it didn't exist then. I haven't seen or spoken to him in a few years, I used to come in contact with him at a previous job, so I can't really tell you much about it.

I do think the school is for older elementary, but I could be wrong. Rabbi Stamler also runs a day camp, don't remember what it's called, but it's not typical. It's a smaller camp, I think it's very outdoorsy, hiking and building and such stuff, not so sports oriented.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics