Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Vents and furniture placement

L K

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 9:17 am
All of my living room/dining room walls have a vent or return near floor smack in the middle of the room, meaning there is not a single wall that has a long enough uninterrupted stretch to place a wide (9'-9 1/2')bookcase along. They are about 6' stretch plus 6' for ex.

I understand I cannot have a bookcase against a vent. What are some possible solutions? Moving a vent to the side or to the ceiling? Should I get the ac guy's ok for that?
Any other options? Thanks

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 9:51 am
You can cut an opening for the vent through the bookcase and put a grate over it and leave it unblocked by books. I have entire walls in my home covered with custom bookcases and the vents come through them.

L K

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 10:30 am
That's what one bookcase seller suggested to me.
Aside from aesthetics (the bookcases I looked into look really beautiful as a 3-section stretch with doors on the bottom of all 3), will heat coming through not damage the wood that's all around it?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 10:37 am
L K wrote:
That's what one bookcase seller suggested to me.
Aside from aesthetics (the bookcases I looked into look really beautiful as a 3-section stretch with doors on the bottom of all 3), will heat coming through not damage the wood that's all around it?

Right, this won't work with doors on the bottoms of all sections. Could you consider leaving the section by the vent without doors?

L K

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:29 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Right, this won't work with doors on the bottoms of all sections. Could you consider leaving the section by the vent without doors?

I would have to see if it looks normal; my concern though is whether heat would be damaging to the surrounding wood even with the door off.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:31 pm
L K wrote:
I would have to see if it looks normal; my concern though is whether heat would be damaging to the surrounding wood even with the door off.

First of all, are the "vents" in question supplies or returns? A supply blows heat or cold, and return sucks in used air.

Secondly, I have hardwood floors that have the vents/supplies built into them with wood grates surrounding them, so I doubt that's a problem.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:55 pm
You may want to get an HVAC professional in to review the placement. Sometimes a duct can be rerouted for a new placement, sometimes it can't because of the limitations of the system or existing building codes.

L K

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 3:40 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
First of all, are the "vents" in question supplies or returns? A supply blows heat or cold, and return sucks in used air.

Secondly, I have hardwood floors that have the vents/supplies built into them with wood grates surrounding them, so I doubt that's a problem.

That's a very good point.
one wall has a heat/Ac vent approximately dividing the wall into two euqual parts.
another one has a return, I'll check the distance from the corner to the return to see if one section fits there.

PAMOM

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 6:59 pm
I moved a return from the original spot to the edge of a door to place a bookcase in my last house. A contractor did it. I wanted to move heating vents and my heating system installer/repair service said they could do if. My vents were on the wall but I have vents now for heat and a/c in my hardwood floors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics