Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
How to sell a large US coin collections? In Israel/online?

byisrael

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 5:10 pm
My father in law has a large collection from his childhood and he would like to sell the coins and make some money.

Because its from childhood he does not now what they are worth now days on the market.
I only found one dealer who will buy US coins in Tel Aviv but I am wondering if anyone knows of other dealers or how to figure out the value of the coins to sell online (EBAY).

They are making the youngest's wedding and really could use the extra cash....

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 8:27 pm
http://www.stamps.org/Home

byisrael

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:38 am
This seems to be stamps-anything for coins?

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 4:21 am
Oops.

Try googling "coin collectors" or similar key words.

http://coincollector.org

https://coins.ha.com/ref/begin.....de.zx

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:39 pm
Before selling the collection will need to be evaluated by a numismatist. Please understand that not all American coins increase in value with age. Some may because they are no longer being circulated.

I would first suggest that you check to find any numismatists in Israel.Speak to them and find out if they have an interest or knowledge of American coins. If they don't ask them if they know a numismatist who specializes in American coins. All coin dealers are not numismatists, just as all jewelers are not gemologists.

Unless your father was collecting uncirculated coins or minted coins with mint errors it's likely the collection may only be worth face value. Valuation of a large collection can take many months.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:57 pm
There are books and online resources that he can use to get a very approximate value of specific coins. I'd recommend that he use those resources to value what he would guess to be his 10 to 20 most valuable coins, to see if sales are worth his while.

Ebay would not (IMNSHO) be a great idea for coins unless they have an independent appraisal. The value of a coin is very dependent on condition. And no one is going to be able to tell Extremely Fine from Very Fine online, and has no reason to trust an unknown seller.

Shoshie

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 8:38 pm
Hi, I sent you an private message. (And to all of you who are wondering, it's not yet Shabbat where I am.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics