Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Gluten free cholent advice???

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 11:02 am
DS has been taken off gluten. Again. In the past I have made cholent simply with meat, onions, potatoes and beans and it's fine but I'd love to bulk it up with some grain. Current on hand choices are short grain brown rice or buckwheat (kasha). Which will come out better? Or should I do a little of each? Or will they both be mushy and gross? HELP!!!

Oh, bonus points for anyone who has an awesome recipe for GF kishke that doesn't disintegrate in the cholent.

THANKS!

Last edited by MiracleMama on Fri, Sep 23 2016, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 11:03 am
Short grain brown rice works well

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 11:16 am
TY!!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 1:45 pm
Yes short grain brown rice works the best for this. Just keep in mind that barley absorbs more water than rice so if you're used to making the cholent with barley you may want to cut down a bit on the water.

Bernie

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:00 pm
In addition to short grain rice I add a half cup or so of oatmeal - it help make more "mush" which my family likes. You can use any type - the more course kind looks a bit like barley. The 3 minute oats just melt away into the mush.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:08 pm
I don't use anything in place of barley, I just use less water. For kishka, I use my Pesach recipe and wrap it well in foil.

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:20 pm
Paleo kishka recipe
http://lisascounterculture.com.....fing/

This is really yummy, adjust to your taste, to me it was bland, so I added more salt and pepper

I made mine into a roll, froze and then placed it on top of the cholent

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:37 pm
cbg wrote:
Paleo kishka recipe
http://lisascounterculture.com.....fing/

This is really yummy, adjust to your taste, to me it was bland, so I added more salt and pepper

I made mine into a roll, froze and then placed it on top of the cholent

Yum, really want to try this next week. I think I have everything but tapioca starch. Is that something I can find at Whole Foods?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:46 pm
Tapioca is available at most health food stores. It is also pretty much interchangeable with potato starch and can be substituted cup for cup but tastes better.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 5:48 pm
Ty Ra mom!

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 2:45 pm
I just leave out the barley. I do sometimes use rice or buckwheat. Sometimes I just make rice or buckwheat separate instead of in the cholent.

I saw someone suggested oatmeal, but that has gluten (unless you buy the special gluten-free kind).

As for kishka, you could probably use any recipe you have and just substitute a gluten-free flour in place of regular flour or matzo meal. I do have one recipe I use sometimes. I'll can try to post it later.

Last edited by Tel Tzion Ima on Sat, Sep 24 2016, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 3:39 pm
I one time made it with quinoa for a celiac guest.
It was a while ago, I don't remember how it was.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 3:56 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I one time made it with quinoa for a celiac guest.
It was a while ago, I don't remember how it was.

I've also used quinoa, but it's just so much more expensive than rice or buckwheat, and since it's small it just sort of gets lost in the liquid. Maybe I should have just used less water and it would have been fine.

smile12345

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 5:14 pm
I often use rice in cholent. I'm not a bean fan so I like using it in addition to the barley.

jofred

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 10:03 pm
if you grate in potatoes, in addition to the cut up potatoes, you will get thickness. it's yummy too.

Queen6

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 10:26 pm
As far as kishke there are many stores that will sell kosher for pesach kishke. Ask in the back.

piece

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 5:41 am
I use potato kugel. I make a 9x13 pan & half goes into the cholent. I put it in upside down so the top well done side touches the cholent & does not fall apart - yumminess!!

Miri1

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:58 am
rice and half to whole cup of gf oatmeal.
I find the quinoa just looks a little funny, though I've mixed that in as well.
I have tried buckwheat, and it definitely came through as a nuttier taste.

I would love to know how people make kishke, but I need a way to put it in without using foil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus