Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Will they enjoy this activity?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 12:12 am
I want to take the kids Apple picking sometime this fall season. They are 5, 3, and 1. Ok, the 1 year old won't really be into it, but he's obviously going along with whatever we do. But would this be a good activity for 5 and 3? I think it would be, dh thinks they're too young for this sort of outing. What do you think?

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 12:54 am
I think it's great for children to see how food is grown and harvested. Turn it into an experience and involve them as much as possible. Lift them up to pick apples straight from the tree. We've taken our kids since before they could walk.

Pick a place that has other activities as well. I don't know where you are located, but if you live in the NY area this is a great place to go with kids:

http://www.lawrencefarmsorchards.com

They have a petting zoo and playground area as well as picking different varieties of apples and other produce. They even sell Klein's ice cream in their store.

Last edited by Rutabaga on Sun, Sep 25 2016, 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 1:31 am
Definitely not too young, but personally I find apple-picking a little monotonous. I like to look for farms that offer different things to pick. Especially things that grow closer to the ground since that's where your kids spend most of their time.

little_mage

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 6:36 am
I'm planning to take my kids, at more or less the same ages (5 and almost 3) this year when my MIL comes to visit and we have a car. When I mentioned the idea, they were both enthusiastic. Have you asked your kids what they think? At five and three they're old enough to possibly say yes or no, although you can't know if they have a clear idea of what they're responding to.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 7:06 am
5 year old will probably enjoy it for longer than the 3 year old.

Maybe be prepared to find ways to play. Bring a ball, and go to an open area, play hide and seek in the trees, play "I Spy," etc.

If the visit is reasonably short, it should be fine.

cm

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 8:14 am
I recommend going someplace with low-growing apples that young children can reasonably be expected to reach, rather than needing to use a reaching tool (long pole with a basket on the end, not sure what it's called) that are used even by adults on taller trees. Call the farm first.

It's a very brief activity. Unless you are picking a commercial quantity of apples, it will only take a few minutes for the kids to pick what they want and be "done." Going to a farm with hayrides, petting animals etc can stretch it out, or you can go straight home and have the kids wash and prepare their apples as the rest of the activity.

lucky14

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 1:08 am
I agree with trying to find a farm that has other activities as well. we were actually at one recently and they had a moon bounce and a swing set and a corn maze and face painting and other activities as well (I don't remember what else) my under 1 year old didn't exactly know what was going on but he loves watching people and touching trees and he munched/sucked away on an apple and was happy.

oh yes, and we brought a picnic lunch as well which was really cute/fun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics