Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Second freezer or fridge?
Previous  1  2

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:30 pm
Just feel like this might be the place to share my recent experience... We have an upright separate freezer in the garage. It is mostly used for stocking up on raw meat, chicken, Gefilte fish, and kosher frozen veggies (we live out of town). Also some frozen challos and soup that I make, but primarily the meat/chicken/fish.

Someone recently ran in erev Shabbos to retrieve a loaf of Gefilte fish, and the box shifted a bit, and you guessed it... The door didn't close all the way.

We didn't notice till Sunday or Monday. It was hot in the garage. Huge waste and huge cleanup job.

Take of this what you will. I wish we had a chest freezer for this type of thing. (Obviously, I wish we had closed the door.)

I do think upright is more convenient for storing things you've made, especially if it's 9 by 13s of this or that.

Actually the second time an unnoticed open door caused this sort of loss for us, but the first time the freezer door was defective. This time, it was human error alone.

If your freezer is not in a garage or basement, you're also probably better off.

L K

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 10:38 pm
Are these frigidaire models good? My local store has them on sale now:

fffh20f2qw

or fffh17f2qw

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:39 am
I prefer the ones with baskets to hold large bags of frozen fruit/veggies as well as raw meat/chicken. However, it's more of an aesthetic difference, and either style will get the job done.

The ones you posted have good reviews. Frigidaire fridge reviews stink these days, but their freezers are still awesome. They both are the same model, just that the first one has a greater cubic footage.

The second one you posted is essentially the same one I have, just without some of the features. I love the features mine has, but the only one that I think is absolutely necessary for us is the alarm that sounds if the door is left open or if the temperature rises. If you are OK getting a freezer without the alarm and you're happy with the price, I think it's a good purchase.

L K

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 6:27 pm
Just got a quote: there is a $200 difference between one with alarm and one without it. How crucial do you guys think alarm is? Do you disable it for Shabbos/yt anyway?

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 7:41 pm
L K wrote:
Just got a quote: there is a $200 difference between one with alarm and one without it. How crucial do you guys think alarm is? Do you disable it for Shabbos/yt anyway?

The alarm doesn't disable in sabbath mode on the Frigidaire. The star k has determined that the alarm can sound (for "health reasons" according to my manual) but it stops after 10 minutes and then converts to a high temperature display until it exits sabbath mode.

I think the alarm is crucial. If it was a stretch, I'd spring for the better one. But if it was between having a freezer with no alarm and not having a freezer, I'd get the lower end one.

I'm sure plenty of people have successfully used alarmless freezers for years.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:17 pm
Ok so I ordered the ...6qw model that had sabbath mode listed in the specs.

When it arrived (it took the store an additional unexpected 2 weeks to get it from supplier) - and I wanted to turn it on- there was no sabbath mode. I'm checking current specs - and s.mode is gone!!
I wonder what the store that sold it to me can do; I've reached out to frigidaire in the meantime.
My suspicion is that I placed my order just as the manufacturer was in the process of changing the features of the model, and that is why it took the store 2 weeks+ rather than anticipated
2 days to receive the unit.

It's quite annoying because I had to pay more to have Shabbos mode so as not to incur loss of large amounts of food in case freezer remains open on Shabbos or 2-3 day yomtov! Without sh.mode, I'd have to tape up the switch for Shabbos, which would make door ajar alarm not functional for 1-3 days.

Arrgh

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 10:54 pm
L K wrote:
Ok so I ordered the ...6qw model that had sabbath mode listed in the specs.

When it arrived (it took the store an additional unexpected 2 weeks to get it from supplier) - and I wanted to turn it on- there was no sabbath mode. I'm checking current specs - and s.mode is gone!!
I wonder what the store that sold it to me can do; I've reached out to frigidaire in the meantime.
My suspicion is that I placed my order just as the manufacturer was in the process of changing the features of the model, and that is why it took the store 2 weeks+ rather than anticipated
2 days to receive the unit.

It's quite annoying because I had to pay more to have Shabbos mode so as not to incur loss of large amounts of food in case freezer remains open on Shabbos or 2-3 day yomtov! Without sh.mode, I'd have to tape up the switch for Shabbos, which would make door ajar alarm not functional for 1-3 days.

Arrgh

That's extremely annoying. Can you return it?

L K

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 12:31 am
nicole81 wrote:
That's extremely annoying. Can you return it?

I have no idea. However, are there any other good freezers that do have Shabbos mode?

L K

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:54 am
Ok, it was a false alarm after all, pun intended!
I got a response from frigidaire, the sabbath mode is still there, I finally managed to turn it on, though it took quite a few attempts.
Thank you Nicole, chayalle and others for advice. On to researching freezing tips now.

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 11:23 am
L K wrote:
Ok, it was a false alarm after all, pun intended!
I got a response from frigidaire, the sabbath mode is still there, I finally managed to turn it on, though it took quite a few attempts.
Thank you Nicole, chayalle and others for advice. On to researching freezing tips now.

OK phew, glad to hear that! I love my frigidaire and I'm hoping you will love yours, too! Enjoy!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen