Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Selling heirlooms to pay bills
Previous  1  2

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
Yes, it would make a dent- diamond jewelry and some other pieces. I know diapers just end up in the garbage, but we really need them. So please don't make light of it. It's a hard enough place to be without the cruel jokes.

Do you live in a place with a washing machine? I can send you my old cloth diapers.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 8:31 am
OP, I can't tell you whether to sell or not, but let me give you my experience.

I come from several generations of antique collectors. I also used to have a very high powered job, that allowed me to spoil myself. I had a house full of very rare furniture, china, etc. I had diamond bracelets and earrings, several fur coats, and other valuable things.

When the economy tanked, my income went down because I was self employed. I went through my savings pretty fast, and lived on my cards for a time because I kept hoping that things would turn around eventually. I had a huge mortgage on some prime real estate, but suddenly the value started dropping and I couldn't borrow against it.

I ended up going to an estate agent, to sell everything I could. They promised me that I had an amazing collection. They promised me that the auction would be well advertised and attended. They made a LOT of promises, and hauled away everything I have inherited, worked for, or treasured.

Two weeks later, an invoice and a check came in the mail. I had made approximately 3 CENTS on the dollar value, and on some items even less.

I sat down and cried for days. I barely had enough money to cover one more month of mortgage, so I could get the house on the market and find a smaller place. I sold the house at the last possible second, and rolled the money into a tiny fixer-upper outside of the eruv. A year later, I got sick, couldn't work, and that house went into foreclosure. I ended up renting a studio apartment on the bad side of town, with 3yo DD.

If I had to do everything over again, I would find another way. It's easy to say "It's just stuff", but it hurts all the same.

Shuly

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:21 pm
Anyone ready to sell their heirlooms to pay basic bills, which just means that next month they won't even have anything left to sell and they still won't be able to pay their bills, is worthy of tzedakah.
Unless of course, you have millions of dollars worth of heirlooms, but I'm assuming OP has a few pieces of jewelry, which are probably not worth much.

OP, take tomchei shabbos and IY"H when you are on your feet again, give them a nice donation to help others.

trixx

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
I am really disturbed by those suggesting taking tzedaka as opposed to selling these items. If someone truly needs tzedaka there is no shame in accepting help. But if you have a way to generate cash by selling off your stuff, even sentimental stuff, it's a busha to take tzedaka.

I would be happy to have my maaser money go to a family BEFORE theyre dirt poor desperate ie still own the heirlooms, *than the next month, when they've sold the heirlooms and still have bills to pay. Like this they own their sentimental items, retain integrity and still have that stuff for the next rainy day.

Last edited by trixx on Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:40 pm
How would your parents and in laws feel if they knew you were going to sell these items?

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:54 pm
greenfire wrote:
something that is handed down from generation to generation is meant to be unceasing to future generations as well ... whilst diapers come & go into the landfill

amother wrote:
Yes, it would make a dent- diamond jewelry and some other pieces. I know diapers just end up in the garbage, but we really need them. So please don't make light of it. It's a hard enough place to be without the cruel jokes.

why would you assume it's a cruel joke ... I was showing you the reality ... yes diapers are as important as toilet paper and you must figure out a way to get some - that should be your goal because heirlooms cannot be replaced - not ever

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:47 pm
Diapers shouldn't be a factor-- cloth diapering might be a pain, but it can also be free---- surely there are people in your community looking to give away cloth diapers. Had we had financial issues when our kids were little I would have switched to cloth.

Coming up with a plan that will be long term (better employment, downsizing, etc) is better, in my opinion, than a one time sale of something you'll regret years later.

I'm in Cleveland and we have a "freebay" group on facebook where we give stuff away. Maybe your community has something similar and you can get what you need (clothing for kids, diapers, etc)

I hope you don't need to sell. Hatzlacha!

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
How would your parents and in laws feel if they knew you were going to sell these items?

Why does that matter? How would they feel if they knew she didn't have the money to pay for basics? That's the important issue.

Although I do agree with the posters who pointed out that selling them just buys a little time, but it doesn't solve the problem. In which case it's probably not worth it.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 11:15 am
You were struggling before you got the heirlooms. Selling them for a month or two of peace is not worth it.

If you had an investment opportunity or wanted to buy something that would allow you to make more money (for example, let's say you want to make money babysitting but first you need a few hundred dollars for equipment and supplies) then I'd say yes 100% sell the heirlooms and buy the stuff you need so you can run the business and make more money.

But selling them and then using the money to buy groceries or pay bills is a dead end.

Keep the heirlooms until the right opportunity comes along and sell them then.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics